As a young boy, Stanley Finchcomb used to play "pirate". This angered his father, who didn't want his son to have anything to do with the wicked pirate life. What was strangest of all was that his father absolutely forbid him from going up to the attic. One night, when he was older, Stanley sneaked into the attic anyway, where he was exposed to a room full of old pirate trophies and memorabilia. His father explained to him that they are direct descendants of a cruel pirate known as Captain Ironfist. He wanted to protect Stanley from this knowledge, in fear that he might one day become possessed by the wicked legacy.
On his father's deathbed, Stanley promised that he would become a good citizen and help atone for the atrocities his family committed in the past. And never repeat the actions of his ancestor.
Years later, Stanley opened a fun park in Metropolis called Pleasure Island. The laughter and gaiety it brought to families was a stark contrast to the pain and misery Captain Ironfist used to deploy. But deep down, his interest in pirates was increasing. One night he swore the painting of his great pirate ancestor spoke to him. The spirit of Captain Ironfist had possessed him! He soon started wearing the outfit of a 16th century brigand, hiring any ne'er do-wells he could to be his crew. With a lookalike pirate ship, Stanley set out as Captain Ironfist and began attacking the cargo ships that would enter Metropolis harbor.
His deeds were noticed by Superman. When faced with the indestructible man of steel, Stanley suddenly came to his senses. Unable to face what he'd done, he tries to escape by climbing the sails. But the image of his father, reminding him of his promise, appears to Stanley. He is so startled that he loses his grip and falls hard to the deck.
A replica of a 16th century pirate ship
- This version of Captain Ironfist, including all history and corresponding appearances, was erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985–86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- 1 Appearances of Stanley Finchcomb (Earth-Two)
- 1 Images featuring Stanley Finchcomb (Earth-Two)
- Quotations by or about Stanley Finchcomb (Earth-Two)
- Character Gallery: Stanley Finchcomb (Earth-Two)
|Superman Villain(s) |
This character is or was primarily an enemy of Superman in any of his various incarnations, or members of the Superman Family. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Superman Villains category."