"Unknown Soldier: "Assassination"": The Unknown Soldier must assume the identity of Adolf Hitler in order to kill him in an important meeting on July 20th, 1944. The Soldier plants a bomb in the meeting room, but only to discover t
Appearing in Unknown Soldier: "Assassination"
- Nazi Party
Synopsis for Unknown Soldier: "Assassination"
The Unknown Soldier must assume the identity of Adolf Hitler in order to kill him in an important meeting on July 20th, 1944. The Soldier plants a bomb in the meeting room, but only to discover that Col. Klaus von Stauffenberg, who is part of a German group opposing Hitler, left a suitcase also containing a bomb in the meeting as well. However, the bomb is discovered and explodes prematurely. Hitler survives the attempt on his life, and a bloody purge ensues, with the conspirators (including Klaus von Stauffenberg) executed. The Soldier, disguised as an old woman, escapes to Switzerland.
Appearing in "Battle Album"
- Appearances not yet listed
Synopsis for "Battle Album"
A Do-It-Yourself Fokker-D-VII
Appearing in Enemy Ace: "A Dream Came True!"
- Mike Mason, U.S. pilot
- German Zeppelins
- German Fighters
Synopsis for Enemy Ace: "A Dream Came True!"
This story is reprinted from Our Army at War #154.
During World War I, an American pilot named Mike Mason is humiliated because he never shoots down any enemy planes. One day, he lies to his commanding officer and says he shot down five Germans. However, he knows his lie will be exposed when the intelligence officers are unable to confirm the kills. The next day, Mason is sent on a solo mission, and he manages to shoot down two zeppelins and three planes. His dreamed-up tale has become a reality.
- "Assassination" is based on the 20 July plot.
- The statement of circulation in this issue shows total paid circulation average for preceding 12 months: 136,326. Total paid circulation for issue nearest filing date: 150,275.
- The third story is a reprint, with additional framing, featuring Enemy Ace.
- Discuss Star-Spangled War Stories Vol 1 156 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Star-Spangled War Stories series