"Sand and Stars, Part Three": Warren Gayle invites Wesley Dodds and Dian to his airfield during a press conference. While there, Dodds dons his Sandman guise and snoops around hoping to find his kidnapped friend, [[Ja
- I'll put on my gas mask and limp around like an old fool. Perhaps I'll get lucky... I love you, Dian.
Synopsis for "Sand and Stars, Part Three"
Behind closed doors, he overhears Warren's plan of "bring down an airship." Warren also reveals that he was the man behind John Blaine's murder (an airfield partner/owner).
Sandman continues to search for Jack and finds him inside a guarded room. He hesitates to save him because he believes he lacks courage since he is now an old man. He then remembers a past adventure with Ted Knight, which helps him decide he'd rather save his friend, and go down fighting, than do nothing at all.
Appearing in "Sand and Stars, Part Three"
- Dian (Flashback and main story)
- Warren Gayle
- Nobody (posing as Daniel Croft)
- Mr. Gayle's Guards
- Gambler (Steven Sharpe III) (Flashback only)
- Albert Mellow (Flashback only)
- Starman (Jack Knight) (Cameo)
- Clarice (Flashback only)
- Red Bailey (Flashback only)
- Dinah Lance (Mentioned only)
- New York City
- Mr. Gayle's Airfield/Compound
- Reprinted in Starman: A Wicked Inclination... and Starman Omnibus Vol. 2.
- Tony Harris and Wade Von Grawbadger illustrate the main story. Guy Davis illustrates the flashback sequence.