The Steel Armor was developed by John Henry Irons as a prototype for the US Army. He left Amertek Industries before making the project public, and kept the armor to himself. Following Superman's death, he retrieved the mothballed armor and completed it, adding a S-Shield and red cape to it in honor of the man who once saved his life. He uses the armor in conjunction with the Kinetic Hammer.
The original armor was incredibly durable, showing him shaking off shots from Toastmaster guns and allowing him to survive a fight with The Eradicator. It had jet-powered boots, enabling flight, increased his strength many times and was armed with a powerful nail gun and a large sledgehammer. However, the original armor was destroyed first when he succeeded in stopping Engine City from fully powering up then when Superboy was forced to use his Tactile Telekinesis to destroy the ravaged armor when the Cyborg Superman took control of it.
After relocating to Jersey City, Irons redesigned his armor.
- Barring esthetic changes, he used different armors in different runs:
Links and References
- ↑ Steel (Volume 2) #12
- ↑ Steel (Volume 2) #17
- ↑ Steel (Volume 2) #11
- ↑ Steel (Volume 2) #25
- ↑ Steel (Volume 2) #2
- ↑ Steel (Volume 2) #34
- ↑ Steel (Volume 2) #36
- ↑ JLA #25
- ↑ Superman: The Man of Steel #98
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 JLA: The Ultimate Guide to the Justice League of America
- ↑ Adventures of Superman #580
- ↑ Superman: The Man of Steel #102
- ↑ Superman: The Man of Steel #99
- ↑ Superman: The Man of Steel #106
- ↑ Supergirl (Volume 4) #52
- ↑ Action Comics #807
- ↑ Adventures of Superman #624
- ↑ Action Comics #806
- ↑ Action Comics #808