Steve Savage was the son of the legendary cowboy Brian "Scalphunter" Savage. He was raised in Mustang River, Wyoming and became a consummate marksman. Steve enlisted in the United States Army Air Corps during the onset of World War I. On his first mission, Savage broke formation against orders and succeeded in downing several German attack balloons. Although threatened with a court martial for disobeying orders, Savage developed a reputation as a fighting ace and earned himself the nickname, the Balloon Buster. Savage often dueled with the German flying ace Hans von Hammer. After the war, Savage disappeared in Southeast Asia in 1924.
- Aviation: Throughout his service during World War I, Savage became an accomplished pilot, handling any sort of biplane with ease.
- Aerial Combat
- Firearms: Savage was a matchless marksman with any sort of firearm, from a simple Colt .45 revolver to the twin Vickers machine guns mounted on his Spad.
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Basic): While not a particularly skilled hand-to-hand combatant, Savage was an accomplished barroom brawler, and would frequently defeat his foes through sheer tenacity.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- In Pre-Crisis continuity, Steve Savage's father was Steven Savage, Sr. In Post-Crisis continuity however, he has been retroactively made the son of Brian Savage, aka, Scalphunter.
- 21 Appearances of Steven Savage (New Earth)
- 2 Images featuring Steven Savage (New Earth)
- 1 Quotations by or about Steven Savage (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Steven Savage (New Earth)