The launch of Hermes 20 goes wrong and the spaceship crashes with the astronauts somehow surviving. At the scene of the crash a tape recording by Doctor Rebos is found warning that he will also sabotage the top secret Venus probe. Doctor Rebos poses as a press agent and takes pictures of Wonder DoThe Androids is an episode of season 1 of Super Friends. It premiered on October 27, 1973.
Appearing in "The Androids"
- Colonel Wilcox
- Doctor Rebos
- Rebos' Androids
- Cape Courageous
Synopsis for "The Androids"
The launch of Hermes 20 goes wrong and the spaceship crashes with the astronauts somehow surviving. At the scene of the crash a tape recording by Doctor Rebos is found warning that he will also sabotage the top secret Venus probe. Doctor Rebos poses as a press agent and takes pictures of Wonder Dog allowing him to build an android copy. The copy then sabotages the Venus probe. Doctor Rebos leaves another recording demanding that the space program is halted. As Marvin, Wendy, and Wonder Dog work to clear Wonder Dog, the Superfriends discover that Doctor Rebos is using androids to sabotage the space program. Doctor Rebos uses Kryptonite to replace Superman with an android copy that sabotages the Mars engine. As the Superfriends figure out that the Superman with them is an android, Marvin, Wendy, and Wonder Dog discover Doctor Rebos's lab. Doctor Rebos explains that he is doing all this because he feels the money spent on outer space can be better spent on Earth. The Superfriends find Superman and he disables his android double and then they capture Doctor Rebos.
- Hermes 20 is presented as America's 20th manned launch to the moon. In our world Apollo 17 was the 7th and last manned launch (December 7, 1972) to the moon.
- Doctor Rebos sends his Superman android to Mars to destroy the Mars Space station. But there first mission to Mars is presented in Gulliver's Gigantic Goof.
- Strangely the idea that Doctor Rebos' androids should reduce the cost of going into space (eliminating the need for food or water) is never brought up.
- For some reason the idea that Doctor Rebos' androids could reduce the cost of space flight (not needing food or water) is never brought up.
- The ship is called Hermes 20. Hermes is also the name of teleport-deployed orbital dockyard program for the moon in the RPG supplement GURPS Technomancer.
- Images from Super Friends (TV Series) Episode: The Androids
- Episodes of Super Friends (TV Series)
- Images from Super Friends (TV Series)
- Gallery for the Super Friends (TV Series) series
Links and References