Something is causing the appearance of red tide and disrupting the chain of life in the ocean. It turns out these incidents are the result of aliens extracting silicon from the water replace lost fuel so they can go home.The Watermen is an episode of season 1 of Super Friends. It premiered on December 22, 1973.
Synopsis for "The Watermen"
Something is causing the appearance of red tide and disrupting the chain of life in the ocean. It turns out these incidents are the result of aliens extracting silicon from the water replace lost fuel so they can go home.
Appearing in "The Watermen"
- Super Friends
- Zara (Single appearance)
- Polo (Single appearance)
- Cornel Wilcox
- Professor Matey
- The extraction ship extracts 1 pound of silicon per 80 tons of water per minute and has a capacity of 1000 pounds. This means it takes about 17 hours to fill up the tanks.
- Several things are never properly explained:
- It is said the extraction of silicon turns the water from blue to gray but the blueness of ocean is due to water absorbing red part of the spectrum. Sediments (which it is implied the extraction of silicon also removes) is part of the reason the ocean can appear green, red, or other colors.
- The gray water rising to the surface is shown to cause the apparent red tide but pure water should be blue not red.
- The commander of the main ship talks about going around the Milky Way to Sagittarius. But Sagittarius is a constellation made up of at least 21 stars which are various distances from Earth. So which star are they going to?
- Two fish observe the extraction of silicon but never tell Aquaman.
- Professor Matey states that red tide is actually a mass of poisonous organisms that reproduce themselves.
- Images from Super Friends (TV Series) Episode: The Watermen
- Episodes of Super Friends (TV Series)
- Images from Super Friends (TV Series)
- Gallery for the Super Friends (TV Series) series
Links and References