"The Super Soldiers of the Slave-Makers": Answering a distress beacon, Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes arrive on the planet, Murgador. They discover that a reptilian alien race known as the Thargg have enslaved Murgador's indigenous populous and put them to work in the mines. The
- Except we're the Legion, bonehead, and it's our duty to help the oppressed! And they need help whether they want it or not!
- — Mon-El
Appearing in "The Super Soldiers of the Slave-Makers"
- Warlord of Thargg
- Dinda (a slave leader)
- Elgor (a slave)
- Pollor (a slave)
Synopsis for "The Super Soldiers of the Slave-Makers"
Answering a distress beacon, Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes arrive on the planet, Murgador. They discover that a reptilian alien race known as the Thargg have enslaved Murgador's indigenous populous and put them to work in the mines. The slave camp leader, Dinda, intercepts the Legion and pleads with them not to interfere. She explains that the Thargg have planted a bomb beneath the capital city of Gondra, and should anyone attempt to rebel against their leadership, the bomb will be detonated.
Superboy, Ultra Boy, Lightning Lad, Wildfire and Mon-El decide to address the Thargg directly, while Phantom Girl sneaks off to disarm the bomb on her own. They fight several Thargg warriors and gain an audience with the reigning warlord. Superboy keeps the warlord distracted, allowing Phantom Girl enough time to disarm the weapon. With the bomb no longer a threat, the Legion helps the miners to gain their freedom.
Appearing in "Dream Girl's Living Nightmare"
- An unnamed assassin
- Primor Nyrd Gordor
- Demros-II (First appearance)
Synopsis for "Dream Girl's Living Nightmare"
Brainiac 5, Dream Girl and Chameleon Boy are flying back towards Earth on a Legion space cruiser. Dream Girl has a dream wherein she sees Primor Nryd Gordor of Demros-II assassinated during a speech. Chameleon Boy takes it upon himself to fly to Demros-II and save the Primor. He takes on the Primor's form and attempts to supplant him at the broadcasting station. Armed guards stop him however and he is horrified as he watches an assassin's death-ray cut the Primor down. As it turns out however, the dead man lying on the podium is not in fact the true Primor. A revolutionary had disguised himself as the Primor in order to manipulate the government, but factions loyal to the Primor took him down before he could cause any harm.
- With this issue, Superboy starring the Legion of Super-Heroes begins publication on a monthly schedule.
- This issue is reprinted in Legion of Super-Heroes Archives Vol. 12.
- The Legionnaire space cruisers visually resemble the Galaxy-class starships used by the Federation in the Star Trek mythos.
- This issue includes an Aquaman Hostess Twinkies advertisement entitled, "Twinkies and Kelp".
- Discuss Superboy Vol 1 220 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Superboy series
- Images from Superboy Vol 1 220