"Knockout": A powerful red-haired woman named Kay is dancing at an exotic night club in Honolulu, Hawaii. After performing for a group of sailors, she retires to her dressing room, where she notices a news broadcast featuring Superboy. She takes an immediate interest in the boy of steel
- That's right punks – I'm back! The "mock" Superman – Superboy!! And I've got a surfboard now! Be afraid. Be very afraid.
- — Superboy
Appearing in "Knockout"
- Silver Sword (First appearance)
- Malio (an exotic dancer) (First appearance)
- O'Hara (a police officer) (Single appearance)
- Ray Garnes (a cameraman) (First appearance)
- Pinto (an exotic dancer) (Single appearance)
- Tanya (an exotic dancer) (Single appearance)
Synopsis for "Knockout"
A powerful red-haired woman named Kay is dancing at an exotic night club in Honolulu, Hawaii. After performing for a group of sailors, she retires to her dressing room, where she notices a news broadcast featuring Superboy. She takes an immediate interest in the boy of steel and switches into her alter ego - Knockout, and begins to hunt him down.
Superboy meanwhile, is fighting with members of the Silicon Dragons gang out at Mamala Bay. He acquires a surfboard and uses his tactile telekinesis to ram the sporting equipment through the Dragons' speedboat. Tana Moon is present with her KONA-TV crew and catches the entire escapade on film.
Special agent Sam Makoa witnesses Superboy's televised battle with the Dragons and grows angry. As an expert on Silicon Dragon culture, he knows that their code requires them to maintain a level playing field with their adversaries, but with the added presence of someone like Superboy, the Dragons now have the leeway to intensify their own actions.
A short time later, Dr. Arnold Kaua of the Hawaiian Historical Museum makes an arrangement with Rex Leech. Rex convinces Kaua to allow Superboy to guard a priceless museum piece known as the Spear of Lona.
As luck would have it, Knockout tracks Superboy to the museum and engages in a fight with him. The two batter each other senseless and Superboy tries to keep Knockout off-balance with a steady barrage of witty remarks. While fighting Knockout, Superboy attempts to keep the Spear of Lona away from her. Knockout is stronger than Superboy however and soon overwhelms him. However, her presence at the museum served only to test her mettle against Superboy – she has no interest at all in the Spear of Lona. Suddenly, a strange mystic named the Scavenger appears and grabs the broken remains of the spear. He teleports away in a flash of light.
- 1st appearance of Dr. Arnold Kaua. He will soon become a villain known as Silversword.
- 1st appearance of Knockout in her criminal costume. She previously appeared in civilian attire in issue #1.
- 1st appearance of the Scavenger. This version of the Scavenger is not to be confused with the Aquaman foe of the same name.
- 1st appearance of the Spear of Lona. The Spear of Lona is not to be confused with the Spear of Destiny.
- 1st appearance of Ray Garnes, Tana Moon's cameraman. Ray takes the place of her Metropolis cameraman, Gordon, and becomes a semi-regular supporting character in this series.
- There is a business featured in this issue called Hazelwood's Toys and Games. This is likely named after inker, Doug Hazelwood.
- Although it won't be revealed for some time, Knockout is actually a denizen of Apokolips. There are several small references made to Knockout's true heritage in this issue. At one point she refers to her "grandma" (Granny Goodness), and at another point, she makes reference to the Old Gods.
- Discuss Superboy Vol 4 2 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Superboy series
- Images from Superboy Vol 4 2
- Superboy (Kon-El) Recommended Reading