"Tough Love- Losin' It! Pt 4 of 6": While the word spreads that Superboy and Knockout are now fugitives from the law, the Kid hears about a pod of beached whales and decides to help out. He finds Knockout, but she is not in the mood, being in a sort of prayer session (t
- You're right, Superboy-- But that's why I don't want you to make the same mistake! That sort of thing should never happen again to anyone who wears the S-shield! You don't understand! This isn't something you're given-- It's something you earn! If you don't know that-- You don't deserve to wear the symbol! You want to be on your own? Fine-- You're on your own! But you don't take the Superman name with you! Just remember-- I'll be back... To put those back on if you redeem yourself... Or to take you down if you cross the line!
Synopsis for "Tough Love- Losin' It! Pt 4 of 6"
While the word spreads that Superboy and Knockout are now fugitives from the law, the Kid hears about a pod of beached whales and decides to help out. He finds Knockout, but she is not in the mood, being in a sort of prayer session (to Darkseid!) at the time.
The Kid goes to the beach alone to help save the whales, and while he's there he finds Supergirl helping out as well. The Girl of Steel has come to convince Superboy to turn himself in, siting that no one who wears the S-Shield can be a vigilante. Superboy takes offense, especially since the both of them had recently rescued Superman from an alien Tribunal (in the Trial of Superman arc) and how everyone assumed he was innocent but now they won't cut Knockout some slack. She might have gotten through to him, but Knockout turns up on the scene and attacks her.
Over at the hospital, Rex Leech visits Dubbilex, who is recovering from the blow KO gave him last ish. Rex wants to surprise Roxy with a nice gift and asks Dub to read her mind for him, but Dubbilex responds that he's lost his telepathic abilities.
The fight heats up at the beach. Superboy tries to break the ladies up, but that has him left flying half a mile away (or I should say, hurtling). As she shakes it off, Sparx suddenly pops up to tell him about a new club called Event Horizon, which is for meta's only. She offers to help with the fight.
Supergirl and Knockout are pretty evenly matched and they grapple hard with one another. Sparx blasts them both, breaking them apart, which allows Supergirl to have a talk with Superboy. SB lashes out, trying to hurt her, saying that she has no right to judge him being in that she used to be with Lex Luthor. Supergirl tells him that he's tarnishing the S-Shield, and she telekinetically rips the S of his suit and jacket, promising that she'll be back to put them back on if he redeems himself. Sparx leaves next, leaving Superboy alone with Knockout, who askes her to fly them off. Later that night, as the SCU investigates the scene, Roxy finds the S badges and pockets them.
Appearing in "Tough Love- Losin' It! Pt 4 of 6"
- Sparx's appearance here segues into a new series that would run concurrently with Superboy, Superboy and the Ravers.
- First Post-Crisis appearance of Victor Volcanum. In Pre-Crisis continuity, Victor Volcanum debuted in Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen #147.
- This is one of Supergirl's last appearances before before starting her own title in late 1996.
- Superboy's comment regarding Supergirl's "S-shield" may be a nod to their first meeting in Adventures of Superman #502.
- Superboy (Kon-El) Recommended Reading