- Okay... you know what...? The two of you are really messed up.
Synopsis for "Candor, Part III of III"
After ensuring her mind-control holds and Kara is ready to get married to Ultraman, Saturn Queen interrogates Power Girl with zero success. As she tries to break Power Girl both physically and mentally, though, she realizes something is going wrong with Kara.
Kara's talking to Ultraman, who off-handily states he'd just die if she broke on their wedding night and he doesn't want to wait so long for ravishing her. His careless innuendo triggers on Kara hallucinations of her father wanting her to kill Kal-El which weaken Saturn Queen's hold.
Saturn Queen barges in the chamber to restore her mind-control. Upon touching Kara's mind again, Kara gets a glimpse into her memories. She sees Saturn Queen and the Legion of Super-Villains setting out to create a new reality by travelling far into the past and indoctrinating the future Superman and Batman. Their plan failed, and following Alexander Luthor's attempt to create a new reality by restructuring the Multiverse, Saturn Queen and Ultraman were displaced from their native timelines/realities and temporarily shunted into the Phantom Zone. Since escaping, Saturn Queen mind-controlled Ultraman into being her "son" and calling himself Kal-El, and used her mental powers to create her own personal version of Kandor.
Supergirl tries to fight Saturn Queen's brainwashing, but the villainess reasserts her mind control. Though she triggers more horrible hallucinations which make Kara snap and finally break free of the brainwashing. Saturn Queen mind-controls Ultraman into attacking her, but an infuriated Kara punches him across the city.
Panicked, Saturn Queen quickly heads to the place where Power Girl is awaiting for her execution and orders the executioner to cut her head off now. However Supergirl arrives right then, smashes the executioner down and frees her counterpart.
Ultraman turns up to kill both women, but Supergirl and Power Girl fight him, and their battle becomes the spark that ignites the Kandorian rebellion. Supergirl defeats Ultraman and her hallucinations are goading her into killing him, but Saturn Girl asks her to spare him in exchange for the truth about Argo City.
Supergirl agrees to spare Ultraman's life and suddenly flies off. Confused, Power Girl trails after her.
Appearing in "Candor, Part III of III"
- Alexander Luthor (Flashback only)
- Alura In-Ze (As an illusion only)
- Batman (Flashback only)
- Superman (Flashback only)
- Zor-El (Flashback only)
- Legion of Super-Villains (Flashback only)
- Legion of Super-Heroes (Mentioned only)
- A special thanks is given in the credits to writer Greg Rucka, who plotted this story arc.
- This issue is reprinted in the Supergirl: Candor and Supergirl: The Girl of Steel trade paperbacks.
- Although the cover does not carry the logo, this issue is part of the "One Year Later" mini-event.
- Saturn Queen's memories refer to the events of Superman/Batman: Absolute Power and Infinite Crisis.
- The true nature behind Supergirl's memories of her father and Argo City are later revealed to be the effects of prolonged exposure to Green Kryptonite radiation, which her body absorbed during her journey to Earth.
- Supergirl Recommended Reading
- Action Comics (Volume 1)
- Adventure Comics (Volume 1)
- All-Star Comics (Volume 1)
- Supergirl (Volume 1)
- Superman Family (Volume 1)
- Supergirl (Volume 2)
- Infinity Inc. (Volume 1)
- Power Girl (Volume 1)
- Supergirl (Volume 3)
- Supergirl (Volume 4)
- Supergirl (Volume 5)
- Supergirl and the Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 1)
- Power Girl (Volume 2)
- Supergirl (Volume 6)
- Worlds' Finest (Volume 1)
- Supergirl (Volume 7)
Links and References
The events from this issue take place one year after the events of the 2006 limited series Infinite Crisis. This template will categorize articles that include it into Category: 1 Year Later Crossover.