"New Krypton Part I of X": Funeral services are held for Jonathan Kent who suffered a massive heart attack during Brainiac's recent attack against Earth. Clark Kent is torn between his desire to bludgeon Brainiac to death and his grief. Privately he dwells on his fathe
- The unit's sole aim is Superman. And I don't think they just want to defeat him either -- I think they want him dead.
- -- Jimmy Olsen
Appearing in "New Krypton Part I of X"
- North Pole
- Stryker's Island Penitentiary
- Washington, D.C.
Synopsis for "New Krypton Part I of X"
Funeral services are held for Jonathan Kent who suffered a massive heart attack during Brainiac's recent attack against Earth. Clark Kent is torn between his desire to bludgeon Brainiac to death and his grief. Privately he dwells on his father's memories and bursts into tears.
Meanwhile, a military commander speaks with Agent Assassin inside a secret bunker concerning the recovered lost Kryptonian city Kandor, which now exists on Earth in the location of Superman's former Fortress of Solitude. The military is greatly concerned about a potential shifting of the balance of power now that there are so many Kryptonians on Earth. They have also recovered the captured Brainiac whom they are holding for study. Every attempt to glean information from Brainiac ends up with Brainiac breaking free and murdering the scientists at the laboratory until he is taken out again.
After the service, Clark Kent returns home to spend some quality time with his mother, Martha. Clark doesn't want to leave his mother alone right now, but Martha reiterates she'll be fine and her son must go and help the Kryptonian newcomers out. After a brief back and forth, Clark caves.
Superman flies to New Kandor and reunites with his aunt and uncle, Alura In-Ze and Zor-El who have just been chosen leaders of the new City Council. They are grateful to Superman for rescuing them from Brainiac's ship. Superman is fascinated by Kandor and inquires whether someone is already displaying powers. He wants to help them assimilate into Earth society, but his family doesn't appear interested in becoming "less Kryptonian". Superman shelves the argument for later when he sees Supergirl heading towards them. Kara lands, looks to her parents whom she believed dead and the three of them hug.
Later in Washington, D.C. Lois Lane visits the grave of her father Sam Lane, who heroically gave his life during the Imperiex War when he blew up his own tank to prevent an Imperiex Probe from reaching the President. Her sister Lucy, now a soldier, arrives. She joined the Army because their father wanted a son to follow in his foosteps and Lois refuses to. Lucy also resents Lois because her sister doesn't seem to miss their father and because she loved Superman more than their father, which in Lucy's opinion is what killed Sam.
Back in New Krypton, the Kryptonians are already beginning to absorb the sun's solar rays and develop super-powers. Zor-El and Alura feel hopeful, but Superman and Supergirl can't help but get a little worried. Will their kin be able to adapt to Earth?
In Smallville, Martha Kent is having lunch alone.
Lois Lane returns to the Daily Planet in Metropolis and has a conversation with Jimmy Olsen. Jimmy tells Lois about his recent discovery of a military annex amassing resources specifically for taking out Superman.
Later, Lex Luthor is visited in his cell at Stryker's Island Penitentiary by Sam Lane. Sam disregards Luthor noting he was supposed to be dead and recruits him to aid him in what he perceives to be a potential Kryptonian invasion.
- This book was first published on October 22, 2008.
- This issue includes the "Sightings" banner.
- Issue includes DC Nation #136 by new assistant editor Rex Ogle.
- The events from this issue take place immediately following the events from Action Comics #870.
- Some of the Kryptonians featured in this issue are dressed in outfits commonly seen during the Post-Crisis revisionist history, but is generally considered "non-canon" by modern standards of continuity.
- Story continues in Superman #681.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Superman: New Krypton Special Vol 1 1 on the forums
- Images from Superman: New Krypton Special Vol 1 1
- Superman Recommended Reading
- Action Comics (Volume 1)
- Action Comics (Volume 2)
- Adventures of Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 1)
- DC Comics Presents (Volume 1)
- Superman (Volume 1)
- Superman (Volume 2)
- Superman (Volume 3)
- Superman (Volume 4)
- Superman (Volume 5)
- Superman/Batman (Volume 1)
- Superman Confidential (Volume 1)
- Superman: The Man of Steel (Volume 1)
- Superman: The Man of Tomorrow (Volume 1)
- Superman/Wonder Woman (Volume 1)
- World's Finest (Volume 1)
Links and References
- Superman at Wikipedia.org
- Superman at DC Comics
- Superman at TV Tropes
- Superman at Supermanica
- Supergirl Comic Box Commentary review.
New Krypton Crossover