Superman 2 is the son and successor of Superman in the not too distant future.
Nearing death due to overexposure from solar radiation, Superman--his physical and mental capabilities having been enhanced due to his solar overcharge--scanned his genetic code with his microscopic vision and copied the 8 billion letter sequence into a book, along with instructions on how to combine human and Kryptonian strands of DNA. Providing these to scientist Leo Quintum--who had long struggled to produce a viable clone of Superman, only succeeding in creating damaged Bizarro replicas--along with genetic samples from both himself and Lois Lane, Quintum would be able to grow the child in the wake of the original Superman's apparent passing. In time, the boy would grow to become the new Superman, eventually working alongside his father and descendants in the Superman Squad.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Superman 2 possesses the same potential powers as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- Solar Energy Absorption: Under optimal conditions, this is the main source of Superman 2's super powers as they are contingent upon exposure to solar radiation from a yellow sun star system. His biological make up includes a number of organs which lack analogues in humans and whose functions are unknown. It is believed that between one or more of these and his bio-cellular matrix, "yellow" solar energy is stored for later use. This allows for the use of these powers to fade when yellow solar radiation is not available instead of immediate failure.
- Heat Vision: Superman 2 can, as a conscious act, fire beams of intense heat at a target by looking at it. He can vary the heat and area affected.
- Super-Hearing: Superman 2's hearing is sensitive enough to hear any sound at any volume or pitch. With skill and concentration, he can block out ambient sounds to focus on a specific source or frequency.
- Enhanced Vision: Superman 2's vision processes the entire electromagnetic spectrum as well as allowing vast control over selective perception and focus.
This umbrella ability includes the following:
- Electromagnetic Spectrum Vision: Superman 2 can see well into most of the electromagnetic spectrum. He can see and identify radio and television signals as well as all other broadcast or transmitted frequencies. Using this ability, he can avoid detection by radar or satellite monitoring methods. This also allows him to see the aura generated by living thing.
- Telescopic Vision: This is the ability to see something at a great distance, without violating the laws of physics. Though limited, the exact extent of the ability is undetermined. In function, it is similar to the zoom lens on a camera.
- X-Ray Vision: This is the ability to see through any volume of matter except lead. Superman 2s can see things behind a solid, opaque object as if it were not there. He can focus this ability to "peel back" layers of an object, allowing hidden image or inner workings to be observed. The exact type of energy perceived—such as x-rays, cosmic rays, or some other energy invisible to normal humans—is unclear. This ability perceives an ambient energy source though, it does not involve the eye projecting a concentrated, possibly toxic, beam to be reflected back from objects.
- Microscopic Vision: This is the ability to see extremely small objects and images down to the atomic level.
- Infrared Vision: Superman 2 can see with better acuity in darkness, and to a degree in total darkness.
- Flight: Superman 2 is able to manipulate graviton particles to defy the forces of gravity and achieve flight. This ranges from hovering to moving in any posture, in any direction.
- Invulnerability: Due to the interaction of his dense molecular structure and supercharged bio-electric aura, Superman 2 is nigh-invulnerable to extreme energy forces. In addition, his extends this protection against toxins and diseases.
- Superhuman Stamina: Superman 2 is able to maintain continuous strenuous physical action for an indefinite period of time. This based on his body converting yellow solar radiation directly to energy, but is limited by physiological and psychological needs to eat, drink, and sleep.
- Superhuman Strength: Superman 2's strength is augmented by yellow solar radiation interacting with the greater than human density, resilience and biological efficiency of his musculature. His strength is more an act of conscious will on energy fields than actual physical strength. It is this act of conscious will that enables him to perform physical feats that are beyond the mere application force, such as moving a mountain top without said rock crumbling under its own mass.
- Superhuman Speed: Superman 2 is able to move at incredible speed by sheer force of will. This extends to his perceptions and allows for feats such as catching bullets in mid flight as well as covering vast distances in little or no time.
This also confers:
- Super-Breath: Superman 2 is able to create hurricane force winds by exhaling air from his lungs. He can chill the air as it leaves his lungs to freeze targets. He can also reverse the process to pull large volumes of air or vapor into his lungs.
- Longevity: Superman 2 can live longer than regular humans, remaining at his prime as long as he was under the exposure of the "yellow" sun.
- Creator Grant Morrison confirmed in the backmatter to Absolute All-Star Superman that the man seen alongside Superman Prime in All-Star Superman #6 was in fact the child of Superman hinted at the end of the series, elaborating "(Superman 2 is) what happens when you apply the Superman formula to create something new, so his look was based on a combination of two real life 'sons' of Superman, the comic book characters Captain Marvel and his British counterpart Marvelman, so he wears Captain Marvel's yellow cummerbund around his waist, while his gloves, boots and the lack of a cape recall Marvelman. His chest shield is based on the triangular Superman insignia that was often used before the emblem found its final pentagon shape."
- Morrison noted in a Newsarama interview that Superman 2 was intended as a member of the Supermen of the Multiverse, failing to appear in their group shot due to space constraints.
- 3 Appearances of Superman 2 (All-Star Superman)
- 1 Images featuring Superman 2 (All-Star Superman)
- Quotations by or about Superman 2 (All-Star Superman)
- Character Gallery: Superman 2 (All-Star Superman)
Superman Family member