"Titano the Super-Ape!": At his Fortress of Solitude, Superman looks at his time monitor to check up on Titano in Earth's distant past. To his surprise, the creature suddenly vanishes from sight and reappears in modern day Metropolis. As th
Appearing in "Titano the Super-Ape!"
- Superman (Flashback and main story)
- Titano (Flashback and main story)
- Green Kryptonite (Flashback only)
Synopsis for "Titano the Super-Ape!"
At his Fortress of Solitude, Superman looks at his time monitor to check up on Titano in Earth's distant past. To his surprise, the creature suddenly vanishes from sight and reappears in modern day Metropolis. As the gigantic ape terrorizes the city, Superman's initial attack is rebuffed due to the super-ape's Kryptonite vision. As it captures Lois Lane, Superman puts on his specially built lead suit to battle the beast.
The lead suit only proves to be a temporary protection as Superman flies too fast and the wind resistance causes the suit to melt away. After following Titano for a time, fixing the damage that he does, Superman realizes that Titano seems to be going for spherical objects. The Man of Steel then realizes that Titano was collecting a series of spheres in the Earth's past. Traveling back in time, Superman finds that they are some kind of gigantic coconut type fruit. Bringing one to the present, Titano begins to break it open and drink its contents.
This distracts the super-beast enough for Superman to save Lois Lane and then knock Titano back through the time barrier returning him to the past era where Superman had originally placed him.
Appearing in "Superman's Black Magic!"
- Bruce Wayne
- Lois Lane (Also appears in an angel costume)
- Jimmy Olsen (Also appears in a Superboy costume)
- Perry White (Also appears in a Superman costume)
- "Duke" Haskell (Single appearance)
- "Lefty" Montez (Single appearance)
- Coker, a counterfeiter (Single appearance)
- An Unnamed Counterfeiter (Single appearance)
- Aquaman (Costume)
- Unnamed F.B.I. Agent (Single appearance)
- Green Arrow (Costume)
- Unnamed M.P.D. officer (Single appearance)
- Wonder Woman (Costume)
Synopsis for "Superman's Black Magic!"
The Daily Planet is having it's annual masquerade party, and all the Planet staffers are dressed up like various super-heroes, except for Clark Kent who has opted to dress up as Satan. When his super-senses pick up "Duke" Haskell and "Lefty" Montez discussing criminal business, Superman wishes that he could trap the two crooks. However, he has never been able to get enough evidence to catch them. He then has inspired by his costume, and decides to use it to try and catch the two crooks.
Using a combination of his super-powers and some trickery, Superman convinces the two crooks that he is the devil and offers to grant them whatever they want... For a price. After they ask the "devil" to bring them various riches, Superman busts a counterfeiting ring on the side. When the two crooks ask for the perfect hideout from the law, "Satan" takes them to "Hell".
The two crooks believe this was the "devil's" intention all along, however, "Satan" offers them a chance to escape from "hell." If they confess to all their criminal activities, he will allow them to leave. Upon doing so, the "devil" reveals his true identity and Superman turns both Haskell and Montez over to the police with their signed confessions in hand.
Appearing in "The Mermaid From Atlantis!"
Synopsis for "The Mermaid From Atlantis!"
While on board the ship, Lois tries to out scoop Clark by going underwater in a mini-sub to take photos. The sub becomes imperiled by a giant sea-beast, and Superman comes to her rescue. Afterwards, Lori uses her telepathy to order Superman to kiss Lois. However, he only kisses her on the nose instead of the lips, causing Lois to be mad at him.
Later, a castaway with amnesia is rescued by Lori. When he is safely on board the ship, she telepathically makes him propose to Lois in the hopes of making Superman jealous. This doesn't work, as Superman recognizes him as a foreign prince and thus, brings his father to the ship. The prime minister informs everyone that his son cannot marry Lois because he's already prearranged to marry someone else back home.
Finally, Lori tries to get Superman to see nothing but Lois's face everywhere, but this also fails.
While resuming his guise of Clark Kent, Superman is knocked overboard, and calls in Aquaman to save him so as to protect his secret identity. He then realizes what Lori was doing, and meets with her. He tells her to stop meddling in his romantic life and let him pick his own wife. Back on the ship, Clark wonders if Krypto will try to marry him off to Lois next.
- "Titano the Super-Ape!" was reprinted in DC Special #16 and DC Goes Ape.
- "Superman's Black Magic!" was reprinted in Superman #203.
- "The Mermaid from Atlantis" was reprinted in Superman #278.
- All three stories were reprinted in Showcase Presents: Superman Vol. 2.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Superman Vol 1 138 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Superman series
- Images from Superman Vol 1 138
- Superman Recommended Reading
- Action Comics (Volume 1)
- Action Comics (Volume 2)
- Adventures of Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 2)
- DC Comics Presents (Volume 1)
- Superman (Volume 1)
- Superman (Volume 2)
- Superman (Volume 3)
- Superman (Volume 4)
- Superman (Volume 5)
- Superman/Batman (Volume 1)
- Superman Confidential (Volume 1)
- Superman: The Man of Steel (Volume 1)
- Superman: The Man of Tomorrow (Volume 1)
- Superman/Wonder Woman (Volume 1)
- World's Finest (Volume 1)