"Superman: "The New Superman!"": When a deadly green comet (which Superman remembered from Jor-El's warning before Krypton exploded) threatens life on nearby planets, Superman auditions two Kandorians, knowing the comet will likely kill whomev
Appearing in Superman: "The New Superman!"
- Superman (First appearance as Former Superman)
- Ar-Val/ New Superman (Only appearance; dies)
- Bran-Een (Single appearance)
- Dr. Jay Black
- Jor-El (Flashback only)
- Lara (Flashback only)
- Legion of Super-Heroes
- Perry White
- Superbaby (Flashback only)
- Arctic Circle
- Krypton (Flashback only)
- Elastic Lad Serum
- Green Comet
- Green Kryptonite
- Green Lantern Ring
- Jimmy Olsen's Signal Watch
- Robot Guard
- Superman's Costume
- Time Monitor
Synopsis for Superman: "The New Superman!"
When a deadly green comet (which Superman remembered from Jor-El's warning before Krypton exploded) threatens life on nearby planets, Superman auditions two Kandorians, knowing the comet will likely kill whomever destroys it.
He selects Ar-Val, and enlarges him with a borrowed Green Lantern Ring, to take his place as the new Superman. He deflects the green comet, but it saps Kal-El's powers. Superman barely makes it back to the Fortress of Solitude before his powers drain completely, and he appoints Ar-Val the new Superman.
But Ar-Val proves to be egotistical and glory-hungry, and refuses to go after Brainiac and Luthor. Ar-Val even demands a law be passed so that only he might wear Superman's costume and bear his name. In order to stop Brainiac & Luthor, Jimmy Olsen contacts the Legion and they use a device to temporarily give Kal-El the powers of three Legionnaires — Saturn Girl, Cosmic Boy and Invisible Kid — plus Jimmy Olsen's Elastic Lad formula, and Kal-El becomes the "Former Superman."
But "Former Superman's" new powers are not up to the task of capturing the two villains, and Jimmy calls upon Ar-Val to save Lois Lane and Lana Lang from Brainiac and Luthor. But it is Ar-Val's life that is saved by the Former Superman, when Kal-El heroically jumps in front of a Green Kryptonite spear, and gets critically injured. In gratitude, Ar-Val heals and transfers powers back to Kal-El, but is turned into unliving stone as a result. Superman keeps the statue-like Ar-Val in the Fortress of Solitude, promising to restore him one day. A greatful Clark Kent resumes his Superman identity.
- Superman turns his costume over to the "New Superman" and puts on an elasticated "Former Superman" costume. Since he has lost his powers, he is also immune to Green Kryptonite in this issue.
- Published monthly, with the exception of March, June, Sept. and Dec., by National Periodical Publications, Inc.
- An additional text feature is called "How Perry White Has Helped Superman".
- Having lost the power of flight, Superman demonstrates that he knows how to pilot a helicopter.
- No trivia.
- Discuss Superman Vol 1 172 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Superman series
- Images from Superman Vol 1 172