"Superman's Race With the Flash!": Superman and Flash are called on by the UN Secretary to race each other in an effort to raise badly needed funds. Their anticipated race creates excitement but is also draws the attention of underworld gangs. Competing gangs from America and a Europe place a bi
Appearing in "Superman's Race With the Flash!"
- Daily Planet
- Iris Allen
- Justice League of America
- Ajax Import Company
- Dr. Werner von Broder
- Mr. Vincent
- Capt. Cold (Mentioned only)
- Enterprises International de Europe
- Dr. Robert Carson
- Monsieur de Paul
- Luthor (Mentioned only)
- Allah (Mentioned only)
- Bret Bradley (On a TV or computer screen)
- Buddha (Mentioned only)
- Metropolis Police Department
- United Nations
- Secretary General
- Asia (Flashback and main story)
- Atlantic Ocean
- North Atlantic
- Indian Ocean (On a TV or computer screen)
- North America
- Mexico (Mentioned only)
- Acapulco (Mentioned only)
- United States of America
- Pacific Ocean
- Red Sea
- South America
Synopsis for "Superman's Race With the Flash!"
Superman and Flash are called on by the UN Secretary to race each other in an effort to raise badly needed funds. Their anticipated race creates excitement but is also draws the attention of underworld gangs. Competing gangs from America and a Europe place a billion dollar wager on the race. The American gang bets on Superman and the Europeans bet on Flash. They also hire respective inventors/scientists to make sure their favorites win the race
The big race is scheduled for Saturday June 10. Superman and Flash are instructed to circle the globe 3 times through a designated course at limited speeds. They race through oceans, landmarks and countries around the globe. Superman and Flash discreetly help each other as they encounter difficulties along the way.
As they head down the stretch the gambling gangs make their move. The Flash runs into a transparent piece of glass and knocks himself out. He is replaced by a fake Flash that is instructed to throw the race. Superman is then stopped by the European syndicate with a cloud of kryptonite dust. He too is replaced by a fake Superman with instructions to throw the race. The two imposters race down the path and notice that neither one is gaining an advantage. As they argue with each other the real Superman and Flash race past them having escaped their respective traps. Superman and Flash race to a tie to prevent either gang from benefitting. This leaves Green Lantern posing a question at the end asking which one of them is faster?
- Reprinted in Limited Collectors' Edition #C-48, Superman vs. the Flash and The Flash: A Celebration of 75 Years.
- The race is said to take place on Saturday, June 10th, making it 1967.
- The UN Secretary General in 1967 was U Thant, but the depicted SG does not resemble him.
- No trivia.
- Discuss Superman Vol 1 199 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Superman series
- Images from Superman Vol 1 199
- Superman Recommended Reading
- Action Comics (Volume 1)
- Action Comics (Volume 2)
- Adventures of Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 2)
- DC Comics Presents (Volume 1)
- Superman (Volume 1)
- Superman (Volume 2)
- Superman (Volume 3)
- Superman (Volume 4)
- Superman (Volume 5)
- Superman/Batman (Volume 1)
- Superman Confidential (Volume 1)
- Superman: The Man of Steel (Volume 1)
- Superman: The Man of Tomorrow (Volume 1)
- Superman/Wonder Woman (Volume 1)
- World's Finest (Volume 1)
- The Flash Recommended Reading