"Superman, 2001!": This issue is an Imaginary Story wherein Kal-El's rocketship landed on Earth in the year 1976, and he did not become Superman until the year 2001.
Superman #300 is an issue of the series Superman (Volume 1) with a cover date of June, 1976.
Synopsis for "Superman, 2001!"
Kal-El was born on the doomed planet Krypton. He was sent to Earth, where his rocket landed in the ocean and attracted the attention of both U.S. and Soviet military. However, a U.S. sailor, Lieutenant Thomas Clark, reached the rocket first and it was brought to the U.S.
Kal-El shocked the staff on the military base, when he emerged from the ship and displayed his powers. The general in charge, Kent Garrett, dubbed the lad "Skyboy" and had a costume made for him.
In the early 1990s, a third world power had emerged and plotted to start a war between the other two. Skyboy was able to prevent it, but seemingly at the cost of his own life and that of General Garrett. In truth, Skyboy had survived. He threw his costume into the ocean and assumed the alias "Clark Kent" (after the general and the sailor, who had claimed his ship for the U.S.), starting a career as a reporter.
At the dawn of the 21st century, the third world power once again plotted against the rest of the world. They had built an android called "Moka", who took credit for Skyboy's rescue of the world in the 90's and now demanded control of the world. Feeling he had no other option, Clark dove into the ocean and picked up his old costume. He confronted Moka and defeated him, before disappearing again and returned to his regular life as Clark Kent.
Appearing in "Superman, 2001!"
- Skyboy/Superman (First appearance)
- General Kent Garrett (First appearance; dies)
- Unknown Country Plotters (Unnamed)
- Moka (First appearance) (Destroyed)
- House of El
- United States Navy
- Lieutenant Thomas Clark (Single appearance)
- Union of Soviet Socialist Republic Navy
- United States Army
- Lieutenant (Unnamed) (Single appearance)
- Private (Unnamed) (Single appearance)
- United Nations
- Premier Leonov (Single appearance)
- President Wiener (Single appearance)
- Earth-300 (First appearance)
- Krypton (Destroyed)
- Rao (Destroyed)
- February 29th
- Pacific Ocean
- Top Secret Maximum Security Complex
- February 29th
- Kryptonian Rocket
- Apollo-Soyuz Space Capsule
- Nucleear Missiles (Destroyed)
- Reprinted in The Best of DC #19 and Superman: Past and Future.
- Superman 2001! was originally published as an imaginary story, a story outside of regular continuity. In Crisis on Infinite Earths: The Compendium, it was retconned as having happened on another Earth, .
- In 2006's Crisis on Infinite Earths: Absolute Edition, it was revealed that this story was not imaginary, and actually happened -- on Earth-300.
- Superman uses the name Skyboy in his teens, the same name as his sidekick from another planet from World's Finest #92.