"Up, Up, and Away!, Part III of VIII: Bare Hands": Clark Kent, Green Lantern, Hawkgirl and Lois Lane stand on the roof of Sullivan Place in Metropolis. Clark tries on the power ring given to him by Hal Jordan, and floats above the building. He tells Hal that he will consider his
- It's ironic really. When Metallo was fully robotic, he wouldn't have felt this at all. Now that he's in a clone body though... It'll probably hurt like Hell!
Appearing in "Up, Up, and Away!, Part III of VIII: Bare Hands"
- Green Lantern (Hal Jordan)
- Hawkgirl (Kendra Saunders)
- Lois Lane
- Metallo (John Corben)
- Perry White (Behind the scenes)
- Flea Circus (group of partially-sentient insectoid creatures) (First appearance)
Synopsis for "Up, Up, and Away!, Part III of VIII: Bare Hands"
Clark Kent, Green Lantern, Hawkgirl and Lois Lane stand on the roof of Sullivan Place in Metropolis. Clark tries on the power ring given to him by Hal Jordan, and floats above the building. He tells Hal that he will consider his offer, but he is not ready to make any kind of decision whether to accept the power ring.
Meanwhile, a group of bipedal insects known as the Flea Circus break into Stryker's Island Penitentiary. They fight through several squads of guards and begin working their way into the prison cells.
At Sullivan Place, the three heroes hear the sounds of mass carnage coming from the downtown area. Hal and Kendra take off to investigate, leaving Clark behind with Lois. The Prankster has returned and is turning the city into chaos by animating various appliances such as refrigerators and street-signs. Green Lantern and Hawkgirl swoop around the city, attempting to stop as many of the Prankster's machines as possible.
At Stryker's Island, the Flea Circus breaks the new Kryptonite Man out of his cell and make off with him. The guards open fire, but the large fleas easily withstand their attack.
At Luthor's lair, Lex and the Toyman confer with Metallo. Lex talks about the Sunstone, as well as Metallo's Kryptonite heart. Lex needs as much Kryptonite as he can acquire, and so he has the Toyman render Metallo inert, placing him onto an operating table. Luthor tears Metallo's heart from his chest and adds the chunk of Kryptonite to his massive warehouse stockpile.
Meanwhile, GL and Hawkgirl finally nab the Prankster and disable his devices. Clark suspects that the Prankster may be linked to the recent Intergang activity, but he soon learns that the villain's actions were merely a diversionary tactic so that the Flea Circus could kidnap the Kryptonite Man without any undue superhuman interference.
Later, Clark talks with Lois and tells her that he is not going to accept Hal's power ring. He has grown accustomed to life without super-powers and enjoys being human.
- This book was first published on April 12, 2006.
- This issue received a second printing with a black and white cover on April 19th, 2006.
- This issue is reprinted in the Superman: Up, Up, and Away! trade paperback.
- This issue is a One Year Later tie-in.
- Supergirl fought the Kryptonite Man in issue #650 and brought him to Stryker's Island.
- The Toyman straps Metallo to an operating table, which resembles an old Milton-Bradley game called "Operation".
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Superman Vol 1 651 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Superman series
- Images from Superman Vol 1 651