"Angel": In the Fortress of Solitude, reflecting on Arion's recent revelation, Superman tries to come to terms with his impact on society.
Superman #659 is an issue of the series Superman (Volume 1) with a cover date of February, 2007. It was published on February 21, 2007.
Synopsis for "Angel"
In the Fortress of Solitude, reflecting on Arion's recent revelation, Superman tries to come to terms with his impact on society. He recalls the story of Barbara Johnson, a larger older black woman who Superman saved in the middle of being attacked.
Progressively, Barbara's encounter with the Man of Steel, coupled with her religious faith, led her to believe that if she called upon an angel, Superman would appear and save her from her malady, and bring justice to the weak.
Sure enough, Superman does, cautioning her every time that he's not an angel, just a man.
Eventually, a bullet gets through, while Superman is fighting an electric monstrocity. Barbara survives, and realizes her pride to Superman, but nonetheless continues to live a life dedicated to faith, as Superman realizes in the Fortress, now concerned that Arion may in fact be wrong about his influence on lives.
Appearing in "Angel"
- Superman (Clark Kent) (Flashback and main story)
- Barbra Johnson (Flashback only)
- Bay Lords (Flashback only)
- This issue is reprinted in the Superman: Redemption collection.
- This issue was originally intended for a December 13th, 2006 release, featuring a story about Krypto. It was later announced by Kurt Busiek and confirmed by DC Comics, that the original story would be shelved for a later release. The plot of the next planned issue would be published in #659 instead, seeing release two months late, in February, and with co-plotting by Fabian Nicieza and the majority of the art by Peter Vale. The Krypto story saw publication 4 years later in Superman #712.