- One lucky punch doesn't mark the end of this. Round one is yours, maybe. This is round two!
- -- Superman
Appearing in "The Coming of Atlas, Part 2 - Time Lost"
- Superman (Flashback and main story)
- Project 7734
- Doomsday (Mentioned only)
- Adolph Hitler (Flashback only)
- Atom (Ray Palmer) (Hologram)
- Science Police
- Chagra (Flashback only)
- Hyssa (Flashback only)
- Hal Jordan (Mentioned only)
- Krypto (Mentioned only)
- Zatanna (Mentioned only)
- Lizard Kingdom
Synopsis for "The Coming of Atlas, Part 2 - Time Lost"
Jimmy Olsen and Lois Lane race towards the devastation wrought by the battle among the Science Police, Superman and Atlas. When Jimmy can't motorcycle any further the duo have to force their way through the crowd of frightened citizens. As Jimmy wonders what Superman was doing before becoming entangled in another battle, Lois remembers she and Clark were having breakfast and bickering over Krypto because Clark wanted to pick up Hal Jordan and play fetch with his dog in space. As watching the battle, Lois flashes back to Doomsday and gets worried.
Superman and Atlas fight on without noticing several drones hovering near and transmitting their every move back to the Science Police headquarters. The members of the S.P. still standing are instructed to intervene and take Atlas down.
As Atlas fights them off, he flashes back to how he got stuck in that era. Long, long ago he was a warrior and conqueror. He had just conquered the Lizard Kingdom when he was abruptly pulled through the eras. He lost consciousness and came around to find himself captured in a government facility. He was taught about the modern world before his captor revealed his goals. He wanted Atlas to fight Superman in order to gather information about how to destroy the Man of Steel. Atlas declared he always fights to death, and he knows they'll go after him afterwards because he intends to take over the world after killing Superman.
Before going, Atlas enquired how he arrived in the present day. His captor told he used Atom (Ray Palmer)'s Time Pool to find someone strong enough to defeat Superman, but he had the feeling that someone ensured Atlas was given to him.
Unbeknownst to Atlas, his friend Chagra was afraid of him. He idolized Atlas when he joined him in his quest to avenge his tribe. Atlas used to be brave and pure-hearted, but he gradually became a short-tempered tyrant. So when Atlas asked for a spell so the "Mountain Crystal", his power's source, was absorbed into his body, Chagra bribed three mages to come up with a spell which would send Atlas far away forever.
As Atlas reminisces, Superman, who had been knocked down, streaks skywards. As snapping pictures, Jimmy spots a strange drone, unlike the ones used by the Science Police.
Meanwhile, Superman streaks back towards Atlas.
- This book was first published on July 23, 2008.
- Atlas, as seen in this story-arc, is the character created by Jack Kirby who first appeared in 1st Issue Special #1. He hails from an alternate reality and is not to be confused with the Greek hero of the same name who bestows great stamina to Captain Marvel.
- Flashback sequences from this issue are patterned after the style of Jack Kirby.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Superman Vol 1 678 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Superman series
- Images from Superman Vol 1 678
- Superman Recommended Reading
- Action Comics (Volume 1)
- Action Comics (Volume 2)
- Adventures of Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 2)
- DC Comics Presents (Volume 1)
- Superman (Volume 1)
- Superman (Volume 2)
- Superman (Volume 3)
- Superman (Volume 4)
- Superman (Volume 5)
- Superman/Batman (Volume 1)
- Superman Confidential (Volume 1)
- Superman: The Man of Steel (Volume 1)
- Superman: The Man of Tomorrow (Volume 1)
- Superman/Wonder Woman (Volume 1)
- World's Finest (Volume 1)
Links and References
New Krypton Crossover