"The Coming of Atlas, Part 4 - Man of Yore, Dog of Tomorrow": Superman watches Krypto launch himself into Atlas, snarling with rage. Clark swells with pride in spite of his wounds and the feeling something is wrong with the Sun.
- Atlas! Hands off my dog!
- -- Superman
Appearing in "The Coming of Atlas, Part 4 - Man of Yore, Dog of Tomorrow"
- Superman (Flashback and main story)
- Project 7734
- Doomsday (Mentioned only)
- Mister Mxyzptlk (Mentioned only)
- Silver Banshee (Mentioned only)
- Zachary Zatara
- Justice League (Mentioned only)
- Shadowpact (Mentioned only)
Synopsis for "The Coming of Atlas, Part 4 - Man of Yore, Dog of Tomorrow"
Superman watches Krypto launch himself into Atlas, snarling with rage. Clark swells with pride in spite of his wounds and the feeling something is wrong with the Sun. On the other hand, Atlas learns he can't get Krypto off him. No matter what he does, Krypto stands back up and mauls him again. As watching Krypto defending Superman fiercely and relentlessly, Lois Lane remembers how she disapproved of Krypto despite her husband protesting that his dog is a good boy, and realizes she was wrong.
Nearby, a shadowy figure standing on a rooftop communicates with an unseen person. He patches a command to a satellite which releases a ray of Kryptonite energy down upon Krypto. The ray doesn't seem to have any affect. The satellite fires a differently-colored ray beam which doesn't deter Krypto either. He attempts every weapon in the satellite, to no avail. Both he and his superior are stymied for Krypto's resilience, and the man thinks it's time to go. He ignores he's been spotted and photographed by Jimmy Olsen.
Superman hears Atlas snarling that his dog must be some kind of magical creature and it dawns on him magic may be the key to win this battle. Stumbling back to his feet, Superman promises Krypto he'll be right back and flies off to find Zatanna as Krypto fights on. Rather Zatanna however, he instead finds Zatanna's younger cousin Zachary Zatara. Both heroes don't exactly hit it off, but Superman explains he neededs protection against an enemy whose powers are magic-derived. Zatara isn't good with spells involving animated beings but he can charge Superman with the power of the Sun. Unfortunately, it'll only last one minute.
Meanwhile, Atlas appears to be finally defeating Krypto when Superman races back to the battlefield and dives into Atlas, separating him from Krypto. The impact creates a huge crater in the ground and the two continue fighting underground. At last, Superman emerges. Bruised and injured but victorious. People cheers Superman, but he tells if they want to cheer a hero they should cheer Krypto. He's his dog, and now he's their dog, too.
Superman pets Krypto, who feels happy now.
- This book was first published on September 24, 2008.
- Codename: Assassin and Jimmy Olsen appear next in Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen (Volume 2) #1.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Superman Vol 1 680 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Superman series
- Images from Superman Vol 1 680
- Superman Recommended Reading
- Action Comics (Volume 1)
- Action Comics (Volume 2)
- Adventures of Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 2)
- DC Comics Presents (Volume 1)
- Superman (Volume 1)
- Superman (Volume 2)
- Superman (Volume 3)
- Superman (Volume 4)
- Superman (Volume 5)
- Superman/Batman (Volume 1)
- Superman Confidential (Volume 1)
- Superman: The Man of Steel (Volume 1)
- Superman: The Man of Tomorrow (Volume 1)
- Superman/Wonder Woman (Volume 1)
- World's Finest (Volume 1)
Links and References
New Krypton Crossover