"Dominus Effect: The Mutation War": Superman's descendant in the 2999 reality fights a seemingly endless battle against hordes of countless robotic servants all mysteriously reprogrammed to annihilate all humanoid life when he sees a shadowy bat figure pass overhead, dropping a bomb that ins
Appearing in "Dominus Effect: The Mutation War"
- Aquaman (2999 Reality)
- The Bat (2999 Reality)
- Green Lantern (2999 Reality)
- Hawkman (2999 Reality)
- Supergirl (First appearance as Supergirl)
- Lena Luthor (2999 Reality)
- Lyra 3916
Synopsis for "Dominus Effect: The Mutation War"
Superman's descendant in the 2999 reality fights a seemingly endless battle against hordes of countless robotic servants all mysteriously reprogrammed to annihilate all humanoid life when he sees a shadowy bat figure pass overhead, dropping a bomb that instantly melts all the robots. This is joined by a green jack hammer that unleashes a deluge of water that washes away the robots and almost kills Superman XIX, as one of his ancestor's Kryptonian genes have been altered so that water is now lethal to his future offspring. A green claw pulls him out of the water and onto dry land where he sees his rescuers: The Bat, Aquaman, and Green Lantern.
The three newly-arrived heroes join Superman at his orbital Fortress of Solitude to decide their next course of action against the robotic takeover of Earth when another hero joins them -- it is Superman's sister Kara, who now bears the mantle of Supergirl. However, a superpowered being enters the Fortress at this point and immobilizes the heroes, revealing himself to be Muto, a mutated humanoid with great mental powers who is behind the robotic takeover of Earth. He offers the heroes a chance to defeat him by playing a game of chess, which they reluctantly accept. Superman makes a move with his chess piece, which causes Green Lantern to mysteriously vanish. However, this move distracts Muto enough for Lena Luthor, who has snuck on board the Fortress of Solitude, to attack him, freeing Superman's allies in order to capture and contain Muto.
While Green Lantern rounds up the last of the renegade robots on earth, Klar Ken has a talk with Daily Planet reporter Lyra which is interrupted by a white-haired girl telling him that everything is wrong. Then suddenly a nearby clock in the city chimes at 2:22, and the white-haired girl mysteriously vanishes, leaving Klar Ken wondering about her.
- This book was first published on June 3, 1998.
- Part of Dominus Effect
- Despite the triangle numbering the setting and story carries over into the next issue of this series.
- Superman navigation number 1998/29.
- The cover to this issue is an obvious homage to the first appearance of the Justice League in Justice League of America #1
- Muto last appeared in a similar Superman of the future storyline in Action Comics #338 and 339.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Superman Vol 2 137 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Superman series
- Images from Superman Vol 2 137