- In my time I have come to be known as one of the most powerful beings on Earth. But before the threat of what I must now face, all my power is as nothing.
- — Superman
Synopsis for "Return to Krypton"
Hawkman and Hawkgirl return Superman to the remains of Krypton, where he imagines an alternate life that could have happened if his father Jor-El discovered the cure for Kryptonite radiation poisoning, resulting in a mass exodus of Krypton before its destruction. In that imagined life, the Kryptonians settle on Earth and slowly take over its human population, forcing Jor-El to rebel against his own people, only to later learn that he has fathered a son that was born on Earth -- Kal-El. After returning to Earth, Superman attempts to replicate the Kryptonite radiation poisoning antidote, only to find out that it is useless. Superman muses that it's probably for the best, as he might need Kryptonite to remind him that he's "more man and a Superman".
Appearing in "Return to Krypton"
- Jor-El (In a vision)
- Kryptonian Science Council (In a vision)
- Kelex (In a vision)
- Kryptonians (In a vision)
- Jonathan Kent (In a vision)
- Martha Kent (In a vision)
- Lara (In a vision)
- Green Kryptonite
- Kryptonian Warsuit (In a vision) (Cameo)
- Kryptonian Service Robots (In a vision) (Cameo)
- Thanagarian Star Cruiser
- Thanagarian Battle Suit
- Return to Krypton is reprinted in Superman: The Greatest Stories Ever Told Vol. 1.
- Superman Recommended Reading
- Action Comics (Volume 1)
- Action Comics (Volume 2)
- Adventures of Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 2)
- DC Comics Presents (Volume 1)
- Superman (Volume 1)
- Superman (Volume 2)
- Superman (Volume 3)
- Superman (Volume 4)
- Superman (Volume 5)
- Superman/Batman (Volume 1)
- Superman Confidential (Volume 1)
- Superman: The Man of Steel (Volume 1)
- Superman: The Man of Tomorrow (Volume 1)
- Superman/Wonder Woman (Volume 1)
- World's Finest (Volume 1)