"Back for Good!": The Eradicator and Superboy show up to see that the engine of Engine City has been shut down. As Hal Jordan contends with Mongul using Steel's hammer, Superman presses on to contend with Cyborg, who reveals himself to Superman as being Hank Henshaw. Supergirl and a weakened Ste
Appearing in "Back for Good!"
Synopsis for "Back for Good!"
The Eradicator and Superboy show up to see that the engine of Engine City has been shut down. As Hal Jordan contends with Mongul using Steel's hammer, Superman presses on to contend with Cyborg, who reveals himself to Superman as being Hank Henshaw. Supergirl and a weakened Steel in ruined armor offer assistance part of the way until Steel causes the machinery of Engine City to come alive and capture them, also manipulating what's left of Steel's armor to try strangling him. Superboy uses his tactile telekinesis to break the armor Cyborg has control of while Eradicator tries to reason with Superman about being on the same side, also telling him how he was brought back from the dead.
Soon they meet Cyborg at the power core of the city, which is being powered by Kryptonite. Cyborg breaks the protective casing and exposes Superman to its radiation. Superman seals off the doors to prevent the radiation from spreading elsewhere, then tries to use a gun on Cyborg which the evil impostor causes to explode. The Eradicator blasts Cyborg with energy bursts along with Superman from another powerful weapon until it causes his jaw to shatter. Cyborg rips off a pipe spewing Kryptonite radiation and aims it at Superman. The Eradicator shields Superman from the burst, but it ends up passing through his body, striking Superman. Hal Jordan appears, finished with his battle with Mongul, and uses a protective bubble to enter the power core room with Steel, Superboy, and Supergirl as the room is filled with Kryptonite radiation.
Superman now emerges from behind Cyborg, taking his cape back and striking the Cyborg with a powerful blow that goes through his body, revealing that the Kryptonite passing through the Eradicator's body had changed and now restored all of his own powers. Superman now shakes Cyborg apart until he is all in pieces, with no sign of him being anywhere in the city. With Superman's Kryptonian bodysuit now in tatters, Supergirl refashions it into his normal Superman uniform, and he flies back to Metropolis while the other heroes remain in Engine City to take care of things. Superman now feels glad that he is alive again.
- This issue is reprinted in the Superman: The Death and Return of Superman omnibus, the Superman: The Return of Superman, as well as the 2016 edition trade paperbacks, and the Superman: The Death and Return of Superman Omnibus.
- Superman navigation number 1993/30.
- The events from this issue take place concurrently with events from Green Lantern (Volume 3) #46.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Superman Vol 2 82 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Superman series
The Death and Return of Superman
Links and References
- Superman article at Wikipedia
- Superman biography page at the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe
- Adventures of Superman #501 entry at the Grand Comics Database
- Adventures of Superman #501 entry at the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe
- Adventures of Superman series index at the Grand Comics Database
- Adventures of Superman series index at the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe
Superman: The Man of Steel #26
Adventures of Superman #505