"The Final Days of Superman, Part 1: This Mortal Coil": Superman has come to the grim realization that he is dying. His exposure to the fire pits of Apokolips, the A.R.G.U.S. Kryptonite vault and Rao's energies have all caused irreparable damage to his cellular structure. Angry he will not be ab
- I'm dying.
- — Superman
Appearing in "The Final Days of Superman, Part 1: This Mortal Coil"
- Superman (Post-Flashpoint) (Flashback and main story)
- Doctor Omen (First appearance)
- Electric Mother
- Super-Man Zero (First appearance)
- Superman (Denny Swan) (First appearance)
- A.R.G.U.S. (Mentioned only)
- Jonathan Kent (Statue only)
- Jor-El (Statue only)
- Lara Lor-Van (Statue only)
- Lex Luthor (Flashback only)
- Martha Kent (Statue only)
- Parademons (Flashback only)
- Rao (Flashback only)
- Vandal Savage (Mentioned only)
- Apokolips (Flashback only)
- Eye of the Storm (Hologram)
- Justice League Watchtower (Hologram)
Synopsis for "The Final Days of Superman, Part 1: This Mortal Coil"
Superman has come to the grim realization that he is dying. His exposure to the fire pits of Apokolips, the A.R.G.U.S. Kryptonite vault and Rao's energies have all caused irreparable damage to his cellular structure. Angry he will not be able to protect the world, on his own or with the League, Superman comes to see the statues of Jonathan and Martha he placed alongside those of Jor-El and Lara.
Meanwhile in China, scientist Dr. Omen has breached the Fortress' digital defenses and is in the process of extracting data from its archives. Superman is quick to detect and seal the breach, but is unable to identify the intruder. In the meantime, Superman goes out to do what he does best: save the world. Afterwards, he visits Lana at her house in Smallville.
After playing in her swing and reminiscing of their youth, Clark and Lana visit the Smallville cemetery, where he breaks the news to her. Brought to tears, Lana urges Clark to find a cure, but Clark merely says there is nothing that can be done. Instead, he asks her to bury him next to his parents. Then, he hugs Lana as a sign of comfort.
Back in China, Dr. Omen enters a special chamber containing a mysterious subject, intending to release him.
At a gas station in Minnesota, an ex-con is interrogated by a cop for missing his check-in after being released on parole. The ex-con attempts to flee on a truck but is then intercepted by a mysterious light that causes his truck to fall into the river. A passerby couple goes to check if he is okay. The stranger begins shining with solar energy, declaring himself to be Superman.
Later at night, Superman goes to Metropolis and visits Lois at her apartment. Both missed each other's company and value their friendship. He then takes her up for a flight and asks her to tell the world about the life of Clark Kent and Superman.
- This book was first published on April 6, 2016.
- This is the first part of the storyline "The Final Days of Superman." The story continues in Batman/Superman #31.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Superman Vol 3 51 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Superman series
- Images from Superman Vol 3 51
- Superman Recommended Reading
- Action Comics (Volume 1)
- Action Comics (Volume 2)
- Adventures of Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 2)
- DC Comics Presents (Volume 1)
- Superman (Volume 1)
- Superman (Volume 2)
- Superman (Volume 3)
- Superman (Volume 4)
- Superman (Volume 5)
- Superman/Batman (Volume 1)
- Superman Confidential (Volume 1)
- Superman: The Man of Steel (Volume 1)
- Superman: The Man of Tomorrow (Volume 1)
- Superman/Wonder Woman (Volume 1)
- World's Finest (Volume 1)