"The Unity Saga: The House of El, Part 3": Superman has a strange dream of the future, a future in which he and his family have brought peace to the entire world. All of Superman's friends and allies have gathered around the city of Metropolis to celebrate World Peace Day, honoring Man of Steel'
Appearing in "The Unity Saga: The House of El, Part 3"
- Crime Syndicate (Flashback only)
- Aquaman (In a vision)
- Batgirl (In a vision)
- Batman (Bruce Wayne) (In a vision)
- Batman (Damian Wayne) (In a vision)
- Black Canary (In a vision)
- Blue Beetle (In a vision)
- Captain Atom (In a vision)
- Catwoman (In a vision)
- Cyborg (In a vision)
- Donna Troy (In a vision)
- Green Arrow (In a vision)
- Green Lantern Corps (In a vision)
- Hawkgirl (In a vision)
- Hawkman (In a vision)
- House of Zod (In a vision)
- Jimmy Olsen (In a vision)
- Killer Croc (In a vision)
- Lady Shazam (In a vision)
- Legion of Super-Heroes (First appearance) (In a vision)
- Martian Manhunter (In a vision)
- Mera (In a vision)
- Nightwing (In a vision)
- Plastic Man (In a vision)
- Robin (In a vision)
- Shazam (In a vision)
- Starfire (In a vision)
- Swamp Thing (In a vision)
- Supergirl (In a vision)
- The Flash (In a vision)
- Wonder Woman (In a vision)
- Zatanna (In a vision)
- Alexander Luthor (Mentioned only)
- Boyzarro (Mentioned only)
- Jor-El (Mentioned only)
- Justice League (Mentioned only)
- Earth 0
- Earth 3 (Flashback only)
- Green Kryptonite (Mentioned only)
Synopsis for "The Unity Saga: The House of El, Part 3"
Superman has a strange dream of the future, a future in which he and his family have brought peace to the entire world. All of Superman's friends and allies have gathered around the city of Metropolis to celebrate World Peace Day, honoring Man of Steel's countless accomplishments for humanity and the galaxy. Even the House of Zod has come to pay their respects to Superman. Unfortunately, joy gives way to tragedy, as a mysterious enemy group begins killing Superman's friends left and right.
Superman is suddenly thrown back to the waking world, causing Lois and Jon to ask if he has slept recently. Superman tells his family that he is alright and that Kryptonians do not need to sleep, as the yellow sun constantly replenishes their energy. After hearing about what happened to Jon, Superman tells him that he traveled to a parallel world inhabited by evil and corrupt versions of the Justice League. These people call themselves the Crime Syndicate, and they brought ruin to their own in their constant power grabs and battles.
The Crime Syndicate immediately attacked Superboy, but amazingly, Ultraman defended him from the other supervillain. Jon initially felt safe in the arms of a man who resembled his father, but his sense of comfort did not last long. As soon as the other supervillains were out of sight, Ultraman threw Superboy into a volcano, where he questioned the scared and confused boy about where he came from. Ultraman already knew Superboy was from another universe and told the boy he was Clark Kent, just like his father. Ultraman had already fought Superman quite a few times in the past and still expressed interest in conquering his world. Until then, Superboy would remain here in Earth-3. This volcano would be his home from now on. Superboy attempted to escape but without sunlight to replenish his powers, he was trapped.
Superman and Lois are horrified upon learning what happened. Superboy thought Jor-El would save him, but he didn't even know if he was alive.
During Superboy's imprisonment at the volcano, Ultraman would bring him food and occasionally, he would make fun of Superboy for his devotion to his father and even attack him. But as time passed, Ultraman stopped hurting Superboy and instead, he forced him to listen to stories about his life. According to Superboy, Ultraman had no real friends, no one to show him even the slightest hint of respect. There where even times were Ultraman cried and left Superboy alone, and a long time would pass before Superboy saw Ultraman again. Superboy knew that if he was going to escape, he would have to wait until Ultraman cried, and then, he would escape in his absence. When the time came, Superboy used the last of his power to smash the side of the volcano with a boulder. The plan worked, and Superboy escaped through the crack and into the city below.
Superboy eventually made his way to Crime Syndicate's headquarters, hoping to find something there that would get him home. Unfortunately, Superboy was ambushed by a woman that so closely resembled his mother: Superwoman. Angry, Superwoman screamed she would do what her weak husband was unable to do: kill Superboy.
- This book was first published on March 13, 2019.
- Superman states "I know that Earth and I know it is cruelly ruled by those that call themselves the Crime Syndicate." but between Forever Evil and Darkseid War the entire Crime Syndicate of Earth 3 was killed (and Earth 3 itself wiped out by the Anti-Monitor). It is unclear if this is a writer goof or a sign that Action Comics #976 rewrote/wiped out those events.
- The Post-Rebirth version of the Legion of Super-Heroes is first seen in Jon Kent's vision in this issue, though only in silhouette and unnamed.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Superman Vol 5 9 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Superman series
- Images from Superman Vol 5 9
- Superman Recommended Reading
- Action Comics (Volume 1)
- Action Comics (Volume 2)
- Adventures of Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 2)
- DC Comics Presents (Volume 1)
- Superman (Volume 1)
- Superman (Volume 2)
- Superman (Volume 3)
- Superman (Volume 4)
- Superman (Volume 5)
- Superman/Batman (Volume 1)
- Superman Confidential (Volume 1)
- Superman: The Man of Steel (Volume 1)
- Superman: The Man of Tomorrow (Volume 1)
- Superman/Wonder Woman (Volume 1)
- World's Finest (Volume 1)