"The Man Who Would Not Die": Swamp Thing wanders through the swamp until he finds an old black woman outside of a shack named Auntie De Luvian. Auntie tells Swamp Thing a tale of the slavery days when there was a thriving plantation owned by a man named Samson Parminter. Parminter was a ruth
Swamp Thing #10 is an issue of the series Swamp Thing (Volume 1) with a cover date of June, 1974.
Synopsis for "The Man Who Would Not Die"
Swamp Thing wanders through the swamp until he finds an old black woman outside of a shack named Auntie De Luvian. Auntie tells Swamp Thing a tale of the slavery days when there was a thriving plantation owned by a man named Samson Parminter. Parminter was a ruthless overseer and frequently abused his slaves including a woman named Elsbeth. But Elsbeth's lover, Black Jubal, fought against Parminter to save Elsbeth. As punishment, Parminter had Black Jubal killed.
Shortly after hearing Auntie De Luvian's tale, Swamp Thing heads towards an old, lost cemetery where he finds the Un-Men. Anton Arcane is leading the Un-Men and has come from the Balkans to capture the Swamp Thing. Arcane's body had been destroyed in their last fight, but he used his telepathy to command his Un-Men to fashion a new synthetic body for him. But Arcane's current form is a grotesque mockery of humanity. He wants to transfer his mind into the Swamp Thing's body in order to master its strength and power.
The two enemies begin fighting and it looks as if Swamp Thing is going to lose, until the tombstones from the graveyard topple over and the ghosts of Black Jubal and other slaves rise up. Black Jubal waves his hand towards Swamp Thing and he passes out. Then, Jubal and the others descend upon Anton Arcane and the Un-Men.
When Swamp Thing wakes up, he finds there is a new tombstone with Arcane's name written on it in blood. There is no sign of Auntie De Luvian or the shack she had lived in. He finds another gravestone with the name "Elsbeth De Luvian" etched onto it. Apparently Auntie De Luvian was the ghostly lover of Black Jubal.
Appearing in "The Man Who Would Not Die"
- Elsbeth "Auntie" De Luvian (Single appearance) (Flashback and main story)
- Anton Arcane
- "Hunk" Dorry (an escaped convict) (Only appearance; dies)
- Samson Parminter (Only appearance; dies) (Flashback only)
- Black Jubal (as a ghost; also in flashback)
- This issue is reprinted in Roots of the Swamp Thing #5, DC Special Series #20, Swamp Thing: Dark Genesis and the Secret of the Swamp Thing collection.
- Part of the story is reproduced as an extended flashback in Swamp Thing (Volume 2) #18. The name "Auntie De Luvian" was changed to "Auntie Bellum".
- This is the last Bernie Wrightson illustrated issue for this series.
- The New Orleans Un-Men make a chronologically earlier appearance in American Freak #1.
- Swamp Thing Recommended Reading