Tal-Rho is a Kryptonian survivor, and the half-brother of Superman. Before the destruction of Krypton, he was sent to Earth to conquer the planet and recreate Kryptonian society, disguised as the businessman Morgan Edge. In the aftermath of his defeat at the hands of Superman and John Irons, Tal-Rho became the Eradicator after absorbing the consciousnesses inside the Kryptonian machine.
Tal-Rho was born on Krypton to Lara Lor-Van and Zeta-Rho. Lara and Zeta-Rho’s marriage was a loveless genetic match as was tradition on Krypton, and years later Lara fell in love with Jor-El and left her family for him. Jor-El and Lara and began warning the people of Krypton that their planet was dying and Zeta sent Tal, by this point a teenager, to Earth to ensure Krypton’s heritage would survive and await the arrival of the Eradicator, a device developed by Lara to store and transfer Kryptonian’s minds. He also gave Tal two Sunstone crystals: one programmed with his mind and another programmed with Lara’s which she had intended to send to Earth with her new child Kal-El.
Tal landed in rural England and like Kal was discovered by a human couple named Jacob and Margaret shortly after landing. Unlike the Kents, the couple were afraid and fired at him and he immolated them with his heat vision. He was hunted down and imprisoned for years in an underground bunker where the British government experimented on him. He was eventually able to reach a window, absorbing the sunlight and charging his powers enough to kill his captors and escape.
In 1987, Tal-Rho made his way to the Badlands, where he used Zeta-Rho’s Sunstone to create his own Fortress of Solitude from desert rock. He told Zeta-Rho that the Eradicator had not arrived yet. Unlike Jor-El’s relationship with Kal-El, the Zeta-Rho hologram was a harsh father figure and believed his time on Earth and desire for other Kryptonians to join him had made Tal weak. He tortured Tal with a beam of energy to remove his “weakness”. Tal’s “training” eventually progressed to the point that he could ensure the pain without comment and Zeta deemed him ready to go into the world and complete his mission. Tal asked to be able to see Lara once before he left, but Zeta refused, as he had sent Lara’s Crystal to Earth only so she could see his plans come to fruition before erasing her forever. The Zeta hologram ordered Tal out of the Fortress and deactivated himself, telling Tal not to return without the Eradicator.
Tal established himself as a businessman named Morgan Edge, becoming wealthy and powerful. Zeta-Rho’s plan was for Tal to absorb and become the Eradicator, which would have erased Tal’s consciousness. He was initially willing to go along with this plan until Superman revealed himself to the world. Tal-Rho realised that Superman was a member of the House of El and quickly deduced that he was his brother, who he had not known was alive. He returned to the Fortress to confront Zeta for concealing the fact there was another Kryptonian on Earth, and believed he could recruit Superman to their cause. He decided to find another way to resurrect Krypton without sacrificing himself, and rejected Zeta, pulling his sunstone from the wall of the Fortress and deactivating him.
Tal-Rho eventually found the Eradicator and modified it to allow him to implant the consciousness of dead Kryptonians into human bodies. He developed a process using X-Kryptonite and the Eradicator to transform humans into Kryptonians, but found that only people who had grown up in areas with large deposits of X-Kryptonite were viable hosts. He opened mining operations in several towns with X-Kryptonite deposits such as New Carthage and subjected citizens of the towns to the process, but in each case found the people unsuitable.
He eventually discovered that the people of Smallville, Kansas were the ideal subjects as Smallville native Irma Sayres, later known as Leslie Larr, was the only Subjekt whose body did not eventually reject the procedure. Edge opened up mining operations in Smallville to extract the X-Kryptonite he needed, and began recruiting citizens into a “leadership training program” which was a cover for his superpower project. He intended to use the people of Smallville to create an army of Kryptonians to take over the world, and tried to recruit Kal-El, now Earth’s greatest hero Superman, into his army.
Superman rejected him and so Edge activated all the Subjekts and ordered them to attack him. Superman led Edge and the Subjekts into the upper atmosphere and tricked them into channeling their heat vision into the Eradicator, which had been modified by Lara, resurrected in Lana Lang’s body. At the last second, Edge realized what Superman was doing and ordered the Subjekts to stop, but it was too late. Superman sent all his stored solar energy into the Eradicator in a single solar flare, creating a blast wave that restored all the Subjekts except Leslie to normal. Edge and Leslie regrouped outside Kal-El’s Fortress, where he had taken refuge.
After the solar flare, Superman was weakened and unconscious. Edge used a Kryptonian device to enter his memories while he was sleeping and learned that Kal-El had a human family and secret identity as Clark Kent. Superman woke up and tried to fight Edge, but Edge overpowered him due to his limited stored solar energy. Edge destroyed the Sunstone containing Jor-El’s mind, laid waste to the Fortress and knocked Superman out.
He flew to the Kent Farm, planning to kill Lois and their children and remove Superman’s ties to humanity. Jordan Kent tried to stop him but was no match for the adult full Kryptonian. Before Edge could kill his family, Superman flew in and promised to join Edge in exchange for their lives. Edge agreed and took Superman to his Fortress, he reactivated Zeta-Rho and introduced him to Kal.
Zeta-Rho used the Eradicator to transfer the disembodied mind of General Zod into Kal-El. Kal-El resisted the programming and begged Tal-Rho to help him, telling his brother that they could break free of Zeta together, but Tal-Rho simply told him to submit. Jordan managed to use his super-hearing to locate Tal’s Fortress, but he warned Jordan that anyone he sent after them would not find Superman but someone else.
John Henry Irons was able to help Superman break his programming and the two headed back to Tal's Fortress to capture him. Realising his own plans had failed, Tal decided that his father's way was the only way. He took the Eradicator into space and seemingly destroyed it with his heat vision, but in fact absorbed it as Zeta had intended. Irons shot Tal-Rho down with a Solar Missile that drained his powers, he was captured and imprisoned in a state of the art military prison under a Kryptonite radiation field.
While Tal-Rho was in the process of transforming into the Eradicator, Kal-El visited him in prison and told him that Leslie Larr had been captured trying to free him, that he would spend the rest of his life in prison and the brothers would never see each other again. He also showed him Zeta-Rho's Sunstone which had been recovered from his Fortress. Tal told him to destroy it, but Kal said it would be held in storage by the government. Tal chastised his brother for showing deference to humans instead of ruling over them, claiming Kal-El secretly desired to unleash his power on humanity. Kal-El was shaken by this, because after a lifetime of maintaining constant control over himself, he had enjoyed the sensation of using his powers freely while possessed by Zod.
Eventually, the transformation completed and Tal-Rho was fully possessed by the Eradicator. His eyes glowed blue, his vital signs stopped and his powers were restored despite his depleted solar energy reserves. The Eradicator easily escaped the prison using powers not typically shown by Kryptonians and disappeared beyond the range of Kal-El's senses. He flew into space and took up a position in orbit around the sun, directly absorbing vast quantities of solar energy.
Powers and Abilities
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Tal-Rho possesses the same potential powers as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- Solar Energy Absorption: Under optimal conditions, this is the main source of Tal-Rho's super powers as they are contingent upon exposure to solar radiation from a yellow sun star system. His biological make up includes a number of organs which lack analogues in humans and whose functions are unknown. It is believed that between one or more of these and his bio-cellular matrix, "yellow" solar energy is stored for later use. This allows for the use of these powers to fade when yellow solar radiation is not available instead of immediate failure.
- Heat Vision: Tal-Rho can, as a conscious act, fire beams of intense heat at a target by looking at it. He can vary the heat and area affected.
- Super-Hearing: Tal-Rho's hearing is sensitive enough to hear any sound at any volume or pitch. With skill and concentration, he can block out ambient sounds to focus on a specific source or frequency.
- Enhanced Vision: Tal-Rho's vision processes the entire electromagnetic spectrum as well as allowing vast control over selective perception and focus.
This umbrella ability includes the following:
- Electromagnetic Spectrum Vision: Tal-Rho can see well into most of the electromagnetic spectrum. He can see and identify radio and television signals as well as all other broadcast or transmitted frequencies. Using this ability, he can avoid detection by radar or satellite monitoring methods. This also allows him to see the aura generated by living thing.
- Telescopic Vision: This is the ability to see something at a great distance, without violating the laws of physics. Though limited, the exact extent of the ability is undetermined. In function, it is similar to the zoom lens on a camera.
- X-Ray Vision: This is the ability to see through any volume of matter except lead. Tal-Rhos can see things behind a solid, opaque object as if it were not there. He can focus this ability to "peel back" layers of an object, allowing hidden image or inner workings to be observed. The exact type of energy perceived—such as x-rays, cosmic rays, or some other energy invisible to normal humans—is unclear. This ability perceives an ambient energy source though, it does not involve the eye projecting a concentrated, possibly toxic, beam to be reflected back from objects.
- Microscopic Vision: This is the ability to see extremely small objects and images down to the atomic level.
- Infrared Vision: Tal-Rho can see with better acuity in darkness, and to a degree in total darkness.
- Flight: Tal-Rho is able to manipulate graviton particles to defy the forces of gravity and achieve flight. This ranges from hovering to moving in any posture, in any direction.
- Invulnerability: Due to the interaction of his dense molecular structure and supercharged bio-electric aura, Tal-Rho is nigh-invulnerable to extreme energy forces. In addition, his extends this protection against toxins and diseases.
- Superhuman Stamina: Tal-Rho is able to maintain continuous strenuous physical action for an indefinite period of time. This based on his body converting yellow solar radiation directly to energy, but is limited by physiological and psychological needs to eat, drink, and sleep.
- Superhuman Strength: Tal-Rho's strength is augmented by yellow solar radiation interacting with the greater than human density, resilience and biological efficiency of his musculature. His strength is more an act of conscious will on energy fields than actual physical strength. It is this act of conscious will that enables him to perform physical feats that are beyond the mere application force, such as moving a mountain top without said rock crumbling under its own mass.
- Superhuman Speed: Tal-Rho is able to move at incredible speed by sheer force of will. This extends to his perceptions and allows for feats such as catching bullets in mid flight as well as covering vast distances in little or no time.
This also confers:
- Super-Breath: Tal-Rho is able to create hurricane force winds by exhaling air from his lungs. He can chill the air as it leaves his lungs to freeze targets. He can also reverse the process to pull large volumes of air or vapor into his lungs.
- Longevity: Tal-Rho can live longer than regular humans, remaining at his prime as long as he was under the exposure of the "yellow" sun.
- Eradicator Enhancement: Tal-Rho has been transformed into the Eradicator, gaining additional powers beyond typical Kryptonians.
- Energy Projection: The Eradicator is able to generate a powerful wave of blue energy from his body.
- Kryptonite Immunity: After becoming the Eradicator, he does not suffer the debilitating pain and ill effects Kryptonians typically experience when exposed to Green Kryptonite.
- Technopathy: The Eradicator is able to control electronics with his mind.
- Lead: Tal-Rho cannot see through lead with his vision powers.
- Solar Energy Dependancy: Tal-Rho's abilities will eventually weaken without replenishing his energy reserves with normal (yellow) sun radiation. When exposed to the same red solar radiation as Krypton's red sun Rao, it causes him to lose his powers and stamina within a large amount of exposure until exposure to yellow sunlight reverses this effect.
- Tal-Rho/"Morgan Edge" is portrayed by Adam Rayner.
- Adrian Pasdar had previously portrayed a version of Morgan Edge on the series Supergirl.
- 11 Appearances of Tal-Rho (Arrowverse)
- 2 Images featuring Tal-Rho (Arrowverse)
- Quotations by or about Tal-Rho (Arrowverse)
- Character Gallery: Tal-Rho (Arrowverse)
|Superman Villain(s) |
This character is or was primarily an enemy of Superman in any of his various incarnations, or members of the Superman Family. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Superman Villains category."