- Have not the laws of nature been violated! Is there not a great disorder in the making? Then it is to be expected that I-- who thrive on chaos as mortals thrive on food and drink-- would find my way here!
- — Tala src
Tala is a demoness and a mistress of Hell and her motives reflect such origins, as she is known for either trying to doom mortals' souls to ruin or aiming to unleash apocalyptic evils upon the world. Her actions have often caused her to confront the Phantom Stranger, turning their interactions into a long-time enmity.
Tala was unleashed upon Earth during a dark ritual in Haiti thanks to Dr. Thirteen's blunder while trying to "expose" her existence as a hoax. As soon as Tala was released on the world, she started wreaking havoc. Her actions led her to New York City, where she was momentarily stopped by the Phantom Stranger. Afterwards, she had other encounters with the Stranger, but she never came out victorious, unless she decided to indirectly assist Stranger on his quests.
Eventually, Tala revealed herself as the leader of the Dark Circle, a secret cult that sought to take over the world by evil means. As the Dark Circle's plans were constantly thwarted by the Phantom Stranger, Tala decided to unleash the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse on Earth to bring death and destruction. Her evil plan, however, was thwarted once again by the Phantom Stranger, assisted by Tannarak, who sacrificed to save the Phantom and caused Tala to fall to her apparent demise.
Powers and Abilities
- Demonic Physiology: As a supernatural creature from Hell, The average demon possesses the potential for the following power set:
- Possession: They can possess human bodies and use them as hosts while also manifest his supernatural powers through them.
- Accelerated Healing: They is capable of rapid cellular regeneration of his host bodies.
- Immortality: They do not age, get tired, don't require food, air, or water; and can potentially live forever unless they are killed.
- Superhuman Strength: They is supernaturally strong.
- Superhuman Speed: They can move at superhuman speed.
- Shapeshifting: They can take on the appearance of other people or cast illusions that make look like another person.
- Seduction: Tala seems to be attracted to men of great power such as the Phantom Stranger. She claims that many men have fallen to her great beauty and she may bring these men to a level of bliss that only Chaos can bring. Phantom Stranger seems to be the only target she has not made a victim.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- 21 Appearances of Tala (New Earth)
- 4 Images featuring Tala (New Earth)
- 2 Quotations by or about Tala (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Tala (New Earth)