"Triumph!": The Green Lantern Corps recover of their defeat against Krona in Oa, physically and emotionally beaten. Hal Jordan refuses to lie down and watch the universe die, and his determination motivates
- Do you hear me -- I'm a Green Lantern!! I swore an oath to protect this woebegone universe, and I won't turn my back on it now! So go on -- go back to your home worlds if you must. Meet death on your knees if that's the way you want it. But I remember a saying we used to have in the Corps -- "Once a Green Lantern, always a Green Lantern." So I'm going to use what little time my Power Ring has left, and I'm going to finish Krona -- even if I have to do it alone!
Synopsis for "Triumph!"
The Green Lantern Corps recover of their defeat against Krona in Oa, physically and emotionally beaten. Hal Jordan refuses to lie down and watch the universe die, and his determination motivates the whole Corps in joining him in one final battle, even though they might die. The Green Lanterns arrive at the rift between dimensions, where the Guardians of the Universe are fighting Krona and Nekron (New Earth). Krona summons his army of undead to fight the Lanterns. One among them, Tylot, refuses to serve Nekron any further, so he saves Arisia from one of Krona's minions, and Hal Jordan welcomes him to the Green Lantern Corps, giving him the ring of a fallen Lantern.
In the middle of the battle, Tomar-Re sees the spirit of his father, summoned by Nekron to weaken him. This gives Hal and idea, a dire one at that. He enters through the rift to Nekron's domain. There, Hal sees the spirits of the fallen Green Lanterns, and he convinces them to rise against Nekron. With their master distracted, Krona and his minions now are pulled back and the Guardians close the rift. However, Hal Jordan is still in Nekron's dimension, and he knows that when his power ring shuts down, he will die. Right before passing out, Hal hears the voice of his predecessor, Abin Sur.
Hal then wakes up again surrounded by his comrades. With Nekron defeated, Tylot, being an undead, fades away, not without showing his gratitude toward his new friends and brothers. Back in Oa, the Guardians offer Hal Jordan a place as the Corps leader, but Hal declines, saying that he was just doing what any other Green Lantern would have done, and that he is just "one of the gang." Right afterward, the whole Green Lantern Corps recharge their rings at the reconstructed Central Power Battery, and they all recite Hal's oath in unison, showing their gratitude to the noblest Green Lantern among them.
Appearing in "Triumph!"
- Green Lantern Corps
- Abin Sur (Flashback only)
- Carol Ferris
- Eve Doremus (Flashback only)
- Guy Gardner
- Jack Jordan (Flashback only)
- Jim Jordan (Flashback only)
- John Stewart
- Tom Kalmaku
- This issue features concepts created by Marv Wolfman and Jack C. Harris.
- This issue is reprinted in The Best of DC #23.
- Reprinted in Tales of the Green Lantern Corps Vol. 1.
- Cover gallery for the Tales of the Green Lantern Corps series
- Images from Tales of the Green Lantern Corps Vol 1 3
- Green Lantern Recommended Reading
- Green Lantern (Volume 1)
- Green Lantern (Volume 2)
- Green Lantern (Volume 3)
- Green Lantern (Volume 4)
- Green Lantern (Volume 5)
- Green Lantern (Volume 6)
- The Green Lantern (Volume 1)
- The Green Lantern: Season Two (Volume 1)
- Green Lantern Corps (Volume 1)
- Green Lantern Corps (Volume 2)
- Green Lantern Corps (Volume 3)
- Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors (Volume 1)
- Green Lantern: New Guardians (Volume 1)
- Green Lanterns (Volume 1)
- Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps (Volume 1)