Nocturna v Natalia Mitternacht
The Prime Earth Noc is called Natalia Mitternacht. That was a character created for Robin Vol 2. She's nowhere identified explicitly as Nocturna in the story, but in the last frame of #105, the caption box says "Exit, Natalia... Enter Nocturna?". Wikipedia has a link to an interview that says they're the same, but the link doesn't work for me. All Nocturna's New Earth appearance come after this story.
According to Who's Who, all Earth-One powers are gadget-based - a perfume that creates mind control. Mitternacht has scent-based subtle mind control (presented as innate rather than perfume). Gotham Gazette: Batman Alive? #1 shows her with umbrakinetic powers of some sort. Both CV and Wikipedia call that "stealth technology", but the story doesn't explain it - only that Spoiler uses such tech. She displays no discernable powers in her other NE appearances. It's almost as if the writers thought "With a name like Nocturna, she must be darkness-based".
So, that begs the question - is Natalia Mitternacht Nocturna, and should our current page on her be moved to Earth-One? If so, btw, real name is Metternich (#105). --Tupka217 12:19, November 13, 2014 (UTC)
- When I researched this for the PE appearance, I thought I had found some kind of definitive "she was supposed to be Nocturna, but I didn't get bother to say so except in that one instance" proof, but I can't remember what or where that was. I think that DC is now, at least retroactively, treating her like she was Nocturna. Or some derivative thereof. Obviously the pheromone thing versus the vampire thing is not very congruous - not to mention darkness powers. I think she belongs on the Nocturna disambig, but probably not as Nocturna. I'm confused about the Earth-One question. You're asking if Natalia Knight should be moved to Earth-One? I'm not sure about that. Maybe the "dark powers" version is the old version, and the pheromone powers version was never seen again?
- As a side note, the PE combines the two characters. Natalia Mitternacht is her maiden name, and she married some guy named Knight, and has some kind of strange relationship with his son Anton Knight that I haven't quite figured out... - Hatebunny (talk) 16:30, November 13, 2014 (UTC)
- I'm saying, Natalia Knight (Earth-One) for all Earth-One appearances and Natalie Metternich (New Earth) for New Earth (all of which are post-Robin #105).
- As for the vampire thing (you mean she is one now?)... Bruce Timm wanted to include her as a vampire in BTAS. Essential Batman Encyclopedia notes that Dala went by the name Nocturna for a while, that might've helped.
- DC Encyclopedia only notes the similarities, and says they might be the same. --16:44, November 13, 2014 (UTC)