- Be careful, my proud warrior. There are evil spirits afoot. I -- I can hear them whispering in the winter wind.
- -- Tall Bird src
Tall Bird was a Native American woman who became the second wife of Jonah Hex. Shortly after Hex's life story was documented by Michael Wheeler, her husband was gunned down by the bank robber George Barrow. She intended to give him a proper burial, but they were robbed by the circus owner L.B. Farnham. He intended to steal Hex's corpse for his Wild West Revue, shooting Wheeler in cold blood and leaving Tall Bird unconscious to die in a fire. She survives another quarter of a century before her husband's body is discovered by historians. A young scholar attempts to interview her about the missing gaps in Jonah's life on public record, but they are assaulted by a ruthless collector of Western memorabilia. Before the evil collector can murder them he is gunned down, and the implication is that Jonah Hex's spirit returned from beyond the grave to protect his wife one last time.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- Jonah Hex's first wife was Mei Ling.
- Although Tall Bird's death has never been chronicled, it is realistic to assume that she has long since died.
- 2 Appearances of Tall Bird (New Earth)
- 4 Images featuring Tall Bird (New Earth)
- 2 Quotations by or about Tall Bird (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Tall Bird (New Earth)