Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the New 52 in 2011, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
- I am not leaving until the Daggers are destroyed. My husband seeks audience with them all.
- — Katana src
Tatsu Yamashiro is Katana, a Japanese sword-wielding superhero who has been a member of the Suicide Squad, the Outsiders, the Justice League of America and the Birds of Prey. Her primary weapon is her sword, "Soultaker," which is said to capture the souls of anyone killed by it, including her husband.
Tatsu Toro grew up in Japan, where she was an Olympic-level martial artist. Eventually, she met and fell in love with a man named Maseo Yamashiro, and the pair had two daughters, Yuki and Reiko. Tatsu soon retired from the Olympics and for a time, she lived a happy life with her family. However Maseo's brother Takeo, a member of the Yakuza, soon grew jealous of his brother's relationship with Tatsu. Fearing Takeo's wrath, Tatsu fled to the countryside in a vain attempt to avoid the murderous brother.
In the end, Takeo found Tatsu and her family and burnt their home down to the ground. Using the sentient Soultaker Sword, a mystical Japanese artifact, Takeo butchered Tatsu's husband and two daughters. In an attempt to avenge her family, Tatsu attacked the murderer. However with the Soultaker, Takeo was able to overpower Tatsu with relative ease, before he could strike a killing blow, the Soultaker had a change of heart and chose Tatsu as its new wielder. With the blade, Tatsu killed her brother-in-law, avenging her family.
Tatsu soon realized that her husband's soul rested within the blade, along with all its other victims. With the burden of the souls on her back, Tatsu was reborn as the anti-hero Katana, who would hunt the Yakuza down in an attempt to avenge all those who had been killed by Takeo.
Katana was asked by Black Canary to join the Birds of Prey. She was also recommended by Barbara Gordon together with Starling and Poison Ivy, who joined the team even though Katana wasn't very happy about it. The team found out that, on a train, three people had bombs in their heads. The four of them went on to the train and stop it, after learning that Black Canary also had a bomb in her head.
After the bombs were removed, they learned where the person who had been doing this was and, with the help of Batgirl, they broke into the building, only to get sent outside again with no memory of what happened and without Batgirl.
Main article: Doomsday Clock Vol 1
After Superman is framed and rendered comatose, Katana joined the group of heroes heading towards Mars to confront their mysterious enemy. The heroes meet and engage Doctor Manhattan, but they are easily defeated.
Powers and Abilities
- Bilingualism: Katana is fluent in her native language Japanese as well as English.
- Martial Arts: Tatsu was trained in various Japanese-styled martial arts from an early age, and is a master martial artist. She is able to combat multiple enemies, fight metahumans and adapt to situations with ease.
- Swordsmanship: Having been trained in the art of swordsmanship under various samurai sensei, Yamashiro is able to use her fabled sword "Soultaker" with expert proficiency. She is most skilled with katana.
- Soultaker Sword: The Soultaker, along with its non-powered twin, was forged in the 14th century by Muramasa, whose swords were said to be cursed and make those who were evil commit evil acts. It sometimes takes the souls of those it kills, storing them inside the sword, where they can engage in limited communication with whoever wields it. Due to its magical properties, the sword is able to penetrate the skin of Kryptonians as well as deflect heat vision.
- Katana was created by Mike W. Barr and Jim Aparo, first appearing in The Brave and the Bold #200. However, in the Prime Earth continuity, Katana first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in Birds of Prey (Volume 3) #1 by Duane Swierczynski and Jesus Saiz.
- Tatsu Toro (Prime Earth) appears as Katana (Prime) a playable character in the Infinite Crisis video game.
- 182 Appearances of Tatsu Toro (Prime Earth)
- 142 Images featuring Tatsu Toro (Prime Earth)
- 11 Quotations by or about Tatsu Toro (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Tatsu Toro (Prime Earth)
Birds of Prey member
|Outsiders member |
This character is or was primarily a member of the super-hero team known as the Outsiders, in any of its various incarnations. They are a black ops team dedicated to fighting evil and taking the fall in public opinion that bigger groups like the Justice League cannot, started by Batman to avoid being crippled by public relations needs. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Outsiders members" category.
Suicide Squad member