- If we only knew what, Mal? That were going to break up eventually? We probably did-- But none of us would admit it! But that doesn't mean the years we've spent together were wasted! We grew up together--helped each other over the rough spots-- But now it's time to fly solo... So each of us can continue growing!
- — Speedy
Appearing in "In the Beginning..."
- Teen Titans (Flashback and main story) (Origin)
- Justice League of America (Flashback only)
- Antithesis (First appearance) (Flashback only)
- Topo (Flashback only)
- Earth-One (Flashback and main story)
- Batarang (Flashback only)
- Donna Troy's Lasso (Flashback only)
- Lasso of Truth (Flashback only)
- Trick Arrows (Flashback only)
- Wonder Woman's Tiara (Flashback only)
Synopsis for "In the Beginning..."
When their adult counterparts suddenly turn to crime, Robin, Aqualad, Kid Flash, Speedy, and Wonder Girl — whom the others meet for the first time — converge on Metropolis to seek the aid of Superman, but then decide to team up and battle the Justice-League-members-turned-evil by themselves.
The original Titans trio of Robin, Kid Flash, and Aqualad defeats a rampaging Wonder Woman, while Speedy and Wonder Girl stop the Flash. Then Aquaman, Batman and Green Arrow are also captured by the young heroes.
In JLA headquarters, they discover an alien energy-being, the Antithesis, who has warped the super-heroes in order to feed on the energies released by their criminal actions, but who fades away into nothingness when the last of his Justice League pawns is beaten.
Inspired by the success of their teamwork, the five young heroes form a permanent organization, the Teen Titans, with Speedy as a part-time-only member. Even as Guardian and Bumblebee come to the close of the team's first case, the other Titans arrive to announce the break-up of the group, in order that the members might again pursue their solo careers.
- This book was first published on November 21, 1977.
- Final issue of the series.
- The Teen Titans disband in this issue.
- This issue reveals the secret origin of the Teen Titans. Flashbacks take place between The Brave and the Bold #54 and The Brave and the Bold #60.
- The Teen Titans origin in this issue shows that Speedy was a founding member of the Teen Titans, but was only able to participate occasionally after their first case.
- Robin, Harlequin and Wonder Girl appeared last in Detective Comics #474.
- This issue provides the first origin for the Teen Titans. When the team first appeared in The Brave and the Bold #60, they were already an existing team -- this issue shows how the team formed.
- The origin story presented in this issue is re-imagined in New Earth continuity in the Teen Titans: Year One (Volume 1) limited series.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Teen Titans Vol 1 53 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Teen Titans series
- Images from Teen Titans Vol 1 53
- Teen Titans (Volume 1)
- Teen Titans (Volume 2)
- Teen Titans (Volume 3)
- Teen Titans Go!
- Teen Titans Index
- New Teen Titans (Volume 1)
- New Teen Titans (Volume 2)
- Aqualad image gallery
- Aqualad quotes page
- Kid Flash image gallery
- Kid Flash quotes page
- Robin image gallery
- Robin quotes page
- Speedy image gallery
- Speedy quotes page
- Wonder Girl image gallery
- Wonder Girl quotes page
Links and References
- Teen Titans article at Wikipedia
- Teen Titans series index at the Grand Comics Database
- Teen Titans series index at Mike's Amazing World of DC Comics
- Teen Titans series index at Comicbookdb.com