"Batman and the Riddler: "The Death of Batman"": Certain day in Gotham, Hugh Creighton, a retired mystery novelist is suddenly kidnapped and several clues are left behind for Batman and the Riddler. Although neither of them is happy to kno
Appearing in Batman and the Riddler: "The Death of Batman"
- Hugh Rutherford Creighton (Only appearance; dies)
- Milo (Single appearance)
- Luis Quintero (Only appearance; dies)
- Frank (Single appearance)
- Lt. Hansen (Single appearance)
Synopsis for Batman and the Riddler: "The Death of Batman"
Certain day in Gotham, Hugh Creighton, a retired mystery novelist is suddenly kidnapped and several clues are left behind for Batman and the Riddler. Although neither of them is happy to know that they have to work together in order to solve the mystery and find the old man, they both agree to a temporary truce until they crack the case.
During the chase for clues across Gotham, Batman inquires as to why the Riddler is interested in saving an old man and the criminal replies that he is not. His only motivation is to find the criminal responsible for stealing his modus operandi and make him pay. During the night, Batman and Riddler overcome a series of traps until they reach the end of the clues. Knowing that there is just one more step before confronting the mastermind, Riddler tries to betray Batman, but the Dark Knight gets the upper hand and knocks Riddler unconscious.
Batman goes to the designated place and much to his surprise, he learns that Creighton faked his kidnapping in order to lure Batman into his well prepared trap. Creighton also used the Riddler to distract Batman from deducing the truth. Batman is forced to surrender his Utility Belt and Craighton reveals that he has learned that Bruce Wayne is Batman. When the Dark Knight asks the elder why he went to all the trouble just to kill him, Creighton replies that he felt upstaged by the Batman, as the former police commissioner would often rely on him to solve cases, but ever since Batman appeared Creighton was forgotten. However, the elder is satisfied knowing that he has solved the greatest mystery and that he will also be known as the man who killed Batman. When the deranged author activates the deathtrap, Batman is suddenly saved by the Riddler and the whole trap backfires on Creighton, killing him.
Finally, Batman takes Riddler to a hospital to recover from the injuries caused by his noble sacrifice. When Batman asks Riddler why he saved him, the madman replies that he needed to know the answers that otherwise would've died with him. Batman agrees to reveal the truth to him eventually, but for the time being, he tells Riddler that first he needs to return to prison.
Appearing in Nemesis: "Fox and Hounds!"
- Chris Foxworth
- "Roadrunner" (informant)
- Barney (Nemesis' mechanic)
- Marie (Barney's daughter) (First appearance)
- Toxin Bullets
- Nemesis Helicopter (In a photograph only)
Synopsis for Nemesis: "Fox and Hounds!"
Greyfox tracks down Nemesis through his helicopter and sets a trap.
- "The Death of Batman" is reprinted in Tales of the Batman: Carmine Infantino.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss The Brave and the Bold Vol 1 183 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the The Brave and the Bold series
- Batman Recommended Reading
- Batman (Volume 1)
- Batman (Volume 2)
- Batman (Volume 3)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 1)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2)
- Batman Confidential (Volume 1)
- Batman: Gotham Knights (Volume 1)
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat (Volume 1)
- Batman: Streets of Gotham (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 2)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 2)
- The Brave and the Bold (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 2)
- Superman/Batman (Volume 1)
- World's Finest (Volume 1)
- The Riddler Recommended Reading