"Shock and Awe": Captain Atom takes part in a televised interview, he takes the General's advice and re-brands himself. He claims to have been head engineer of the team who built the Continuum and, after ordering their evacuation, was hit by a wave of energy
The Fall and Rise of Captain Atom #4 is an issue of the series The Fall and Rise of Captain Atom (Volume 1) with a cover date of June, 2017. It was published on April 5, 2017.
Synopsis for "Shock and Awe"
Captain Atom takes part in a televised interview, he takes the General's advice and re-brands himself. He claims to have been head engineer of the team who built the Continuum and, after ordering their evacuation, was hit by a wave of energy and sent into the "future" of 2017 with all of his "co-workers" having "disappeared". To prove his powers, Atom detonates and subsequently contains a 100-kiloton bomb with no fallout. Inside the Mesaplex, General Eiling and Doctor Megala watch the broadcast closely.
Atom had also solicited the help of a Private Investigator, Janice Charlton, a war vet to find out as much information about his son as possible. Though Charlton can find evidence of Takara including wedding photographs and details about "Vincent Mallory" (Atom's false identity) though she sends him away without any information about his son except that any information is deeply hidden. Atom is then summoned to the Mesaplex for a mission briefing.
On the day that Atom disappeared rogue Quantum Flares spewed out and one burst into the Ultra-Max prison nearby. Just as Max Thrane was to be electrocuted the bolt trapped him within a timeless energy dome leaving him in limbo between life and death for five years. Atom agrees to help and he begins to dissipate the bubble but the energy comes in too fast and startles him. From the chair Thrane stands and burst away from the prison swearing revenge.
Inside the Mesaplex General Eiling directs Megala to work on Atom while he tracks down the villain. Elsewhere Atom's PI reveals that she has found him from after Takara's death when he was adopted by his Aunt. Inside his room, Atom's son Genji falls asleep but unbeknown to him, he is being observed by Doctor Megala who is scanning him for latent powers.
Appearing in "Shock and Awe"
- Max Thrane (First appearance) (Flashback and main story)
- Edwin Riley (ACLU attorney, only appearance)
- Genji Sato (First full appearance)
- Janice Charlton (First appearance)
- S.T.A.R. Labs
- Dr. Frank (Single appearance)
- Takara Sato (In a photograph only)
- Todd (TV host, only appearance)
- Suitcase Nuke (Plutonium 239)
- Megala's Wheelchair
- The TV host Todd had his features based on José Luiz Datena, famous Brazilian journalist and TV presenter .
- Captain Atom's private investigator is named Janice Charlton. Her name is an homage to Charlton Comics, the original publisher of Captain Atom.
- Cover gallery for the The Fall and Rise of Captain Atom series
- Images from The Fall and Rise of Captain Atom Vol 1 4
Links and References