Synopsis for "Chain Lightning, Chapter Five: Whirlpool"
Wally West teams up with Barry Allen against Cobalt Blue and his Lightning Brigade, a group of Flashes who have fallen under the control of Cobalt Blue's gem. They battle and Cobalt Blue uses his flame to take away most of Barry and Wally's speed. They flee to the Flash Museum, where they use the last of their speed defeating the guard robots at the entrance. In the museum, they use Mirror Master's cloaking mirrors to hide until their speed returns.
Once their speed has returned, Wally and Barry take Captain Cold's Cold Gun and freeze the gem on Jay Garrick's chest. Once Jay is back to his old self, he assists Wally and Barry in restoring the other speedsters to themselves and sending them back to their time. Jay heads back home too, while Wally spends a bit more time with his mentor. But neither notice the lingering flames of Cobalt Blue.
Pariah suddenly arrives and announces the coming of the Crisis. As he fades away, Cobalt Blue launches flames at Barry, killing him. Now that Barry Allen is dead before the Crisis begins, he can no longer sacrifice himself to save the universes from the Anti-Monitor.
Appearing in "Chain Lightning, Chapter Five: Whirlpool"
- Cobalt Blue
- Anti-Monitor (Flashback and main story)
- Psycho-Pirate (Flashback only)
- Mirror Master (Statue only)
- Weather Wizard (Statue only)
- Captain Boomerang (Statue only)
- Heat Wave (Statue only)
- Trickster (Statue only)
- Captain Cold (Statue only)
- Superman (Flashback only)
- Wonder Woman (Flashback only)
- Batman (Flashback only)
- Green Lantern (Flashback only)
- Johnny Quick (Statue only)
- The Flash Recommended Reading