"Finish Line": Barry Allen is dead at the hands of his evil twin, Malcolm Thawne, so the prophecy surrounding the Blue Gem of Cobalt Blue has finally been fulfilled. But history also has been altered drastically as a result, because Barry Allen is no longer abl
- No hope. No mercy. The universe you knew is nothing but a memory and I have no intention of leaving anyone alive to honor it.
Synopsis for "Finish Line"
Barry Allen is dead at the hands of his evil twin, Malcolm Thawne, so the prophecy surrounding the Blue Gem of Cobalt Blue has finally been fulfilled. But history also has been altered drastically as a result, because Barry Allen is no longer able to sacrifice himself during the Crisis War to defeat the Anti-Monitor.
Now, Wally West finds himself on the antimatter universe and faces the Anti-Monitor. Seeing no way to win the battle in that place and time, he goes back in time and gets an army of superheroes to fight the Anti-Monitor. They arrive and attack him but even when Wally lends them his speed, they cannot defeat the Anti-Monitor. Wally travels through time to when Barry Allen sacrificed himself to destroy the Anti-Monitor's machine and takes Barry's place now that he is dead. But Wally is not able to destroy the machine the way that Barry did.
So Wally races through time and saves Barry Allen from the Blue Flame. He then destroys the Blue Flame by racing it around the world so fast that Wally becomes a part of the speed force.
In the present of Keystone City, a man in a Flash costume arrives.
Appearing in "Finish Line"
- Flash (from present time)
- Kid Flash (from Crisis on Infinite Earths period)
- Barry Allen
- Captain Marvel
- Doctor Light
- Power Girl
- Negative Man
- Martian Manhunter
- Iris Allen
- Captain Atom
- Flash (First appearance)
- Given the revelation of hypertime in The Kingdom #2 it is reasonable that what Wally dealt with were hypertime versions of Crisis.
- The story seems to be a "Post-Crisis version" of Crisis on Infinite Earths #12, since Earth-Two Superman isn't present, and with a different final scene where all the heroes except Flash are killed by the Anti-Monitor. A woman with bracelets can be seen between the heroes fighting the Anti-Monitor, but it is not clear who. If it really is a Post-Crisis story, Wonder Woman was in Themyscira in this point of time; presumably this heroine was Donna Troy or Hippolyta.
- On page 13, Captain Marvel is shown using heat vision, a power that the character does not have; it could have been a mistake from the artists.
- Captain Atom wears his red and blue uniform, similar to his Charlton version.
- This is issue 500 overall for The Flash.
- The Flash Recommended Reading