- You might say I'm an emissary, my dear. I represent a person of great power ---! This person requires your immediate presence. Like Jason Blood --- You'll find it wise to cooperate.
- — Warly src
Theophilus Warly was a published occultist, whose widely distributed novel, Warly's Wizardry, had the clandestine purpose of luring Merlin's Demon out of hiding. Eventually, a demonologist, Jason Blood, sought the fellow researcher's advice on an ancient parchment. Warly knew instantly that this mortal was unknowingly harbouring Merlin's servant and attacked him by magically animating a suit of armour. Blood was rendered unconscious, and Warly's mistress revealed herself as Merlin's greatest enemy, Morgaine le Fey!
Jason Blood recovered on the abandoned grounds of the Warly Mansion which had become mysteriously ruins. The local police officer told him the place had burned down years ago, and old man Warly's body was never found. Blood left Witches Brew, Vermont behind for Gotham City, but he was secretly followed by Warly and his sorceress. They spied on him from a two-way mirror until he led them to Merlin.
Their patience paid off, and Warly accompanied Morgaine to Castle Branek where she stole the required spell needed to restore her youth. Warly aided her ritual in the Walpurgis Wood, but it was interrupted by Etrigan. Warly fled with the other witches, but Morgaine stayed, managing to complete the ritual before disappearing.
Not long after, Morgaine and Warly resurfaced in Gotham, this time coveting the Philosopher's Stone. Etrigan was branded with Morgaine's seal and forced to obey her. Warly was then tasked to recover the stone from Blood's apartment where he discovered it in Glenda Mark's possession. He brought her back to trade the stone for Blood, but Glenda refused to hand it over to le Fey. While the women fought, Warly snatched the stone for himself and turned against his mistress. He transformed Morgaine into a sarcophagus, but not before she cast one last spell of her own. Warly, blinded by the power of the stone, failed to notice the tentacled monster reaching from the door behind him. He was dragged off, frantically creating magical fire in a panic.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- 12 Appearances of Theophilus Warly (New Earth)
- 3 Images featuring Theophilus Warly (New Earth)
- 1 Quotations by or about Theophilus Warly (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Theophilus Warly (New Earth)
|The Demon supporting cast|
This character has been an ally or antagonist to either The Demon Etrigan or his counterpart Jason Blood in any of their various incarnations.
This character is or was primarily an enemy of Etrigan. This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Etrigan Villains."