Kalmaku was the first person to know about Hal Jordan's secret, and kept a journal of Green Lantern's adventures. He often assisted the hero, or required rescuing as well as serving as his confidante. Hal had considered him as a replacement Green Lantern for Sector 2814, and the Guardians of the Universe even offered him a Green Lantern Ring (which he declined, famously saying "naw").
Tom worked as a mechanic at Ferris Aircraft, but shortly after Hal's first departure from the company, Tom also left and mounted his own chain of gas stations. The business flourished, and he became a respectable entrepreneur, and he asked his friend to stop calling him "Pieface." However, an energy crunch affecting the oil industry, along with a pile of debts, caused Tom to leave his business and return to Ferris Aircraft. In time, Ferris suffered a series of sabotages that led it near bankruptcy, and Tom couldn't deal with another economic crisis. Feeling hopeless, Tom was about to commit suicide, but Hal helped him see purpose in life again.
Kalmaku was revealed to be one of the "Chosen" who formed the New Guardians. He had the superpower to bring out the best in people. However, he decided to leave the New Guardians to be with his family. He loses his powers when he leaves the team.
Powers and Abilities
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- 199 Appearances of Thomas Kalmaku (New Earth)
- 7 Images featuring Thomas Kalmaku (New Earth)
- 1 Quotations by or about Thomas Kalmaku (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Thomas Kalmaku (New Earth)