- This is easy! Atomic Forces do the work! We just stand here!
- — T.N.T. src
Thomas N. "Tex" Thomas was a high school chemistry teacher, who had a laboratory accident in the early 1940s, while working with some radioactive salts. He and one student, young Danny Dunbar, were both charged with atomic energy; Thomas got a positive atomic charge; Dunbar's charge was negative. When they made physical contact, typically by shaking hands or bumping fists, the two would gain strength, speed and energy-generating atomic power. Thomas' energy generated heat; Dunbar's generated short bursts of electricity.
Thomas made a pair of energy dampers, in the form of rings called Dyna-Rings, which kept this atomic energy dormant, until the rings were touched together, at which times an explosive effect would result. Empowered and emboldened by this new energy, Thomas and Dunbar became costumed, masked crime-fighters, and called themselves TNT and Dan the Dyna-Mite.
TNT and Dan the Dyna-Mite began to lose control of their powers and emit radiation uncontrollably. TNT went to Kandor for help, while Dyna-Mite went to live in a special chamber in Atlantis.
On April 26th 1942, near Indian Creek, Colorado, Tex Thomas was killed in action by a gang of Nazi saboteurs. According to Arn "Iron" Munro, T.N.T.'s soul was taken to Valhalla, by Gudra the Valkyrie. After this, Dan Dunbar continued on as a crime-fighter without his partner, believing at first that he could no longer access his superpowers. He soon learned he could reactivate his powers, by wearing T.N.T.'s Dyna-Ring along with his own, and pressing them together himself.
Powers and Abilities
- TNT suit: Thomas wore a costume composed of asbestos, which insulated him from the effects of his concussive blast powers and was shock-proof.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-Two era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and no longer apply.
- In their original Golden Age appearances, TNT and Dan met no other costumed heroes and joined no teams.
- In Earth-Two continuity, TNT and Dan were members of the All-Star Squadron only.
- In New Earth continuity, TNT and Dan were members of the Seven Soldiers of Victory, in place of Green Arrow and Speedy, and were also included in the All-Star Squadron.
- TNT & Dan's costumes underwent some changes during their brief Golden Age careers.
- At first, in Star-Spangled Comics #7, their headgear covered their scalps, but had no masks.
- Starting in Star-Spangled Comics #10, Dan's hood went away, and they still had no masks.
- By Star-Spangled Comics #23, Dan had regained the hood, plus a domino mask. TNT still had a hood but no mask. This was their final Golden Age appearance.
- 32 Appearances of Thomas N. Thomas (New Earth)
- 6 Images featuring Thomas N. Thomas (New Earth)
- 2 Quotations by or about Thomas N. Thomas (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Thomas N. Thomas (New Earth)
|Seven Soldiers of Victory member|
This character is or was a member of the Seven Soldiers of Victory, or the Seven Soldiers in any of its various incarnations, created during World War II and later, it returned to battle time-traveling, dimension-spanning mysteries and monsters.
|All-Star Squadron member|
This character is or was a member of the All-Star Squadron in any of its various incarnations. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "All-Star Squadron members" category.