Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the New 52 in 2011, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
- It was only after Bruce died that I realized what I could do for him. Honor him. Honor what he stood for. Take up the mantle of the bat. The mantle of my son. Atone for my sins by helping the world. By becoming something better than Thomas Wayne ever was. By becoming Batman.
- — Batman src
Unlike his Prime Earth counterpart, Thomas Wayne survived the mugging by Joe Chill. Unbeknownst to his son Bruce, Thomas, while still in medical school in 1979, developed connections to the Falcone crime family after he saved Frankie Falcone from a gunshot wound. Falcone insisted on showing his gratitude to Thomas by introducing him to the wild lifestyle of partying and drugs the Falcones' wealth enabled. Frankie even introduced him to his eventual wife, Martha. After a period of wild partying, fueled in part by drugs Thomas was able to obtain as a doctor, the partying ended when Martha gave birth to Bruce. Martha herself insisted Thomas sever all ties to Falcone.
When Thomas did he made it clear that whatever dirt Frankie had on Thomas was nothing to what, vice versa, Thomas had on Frankie. In response, Falcone had his thugs attack Thomas, who was saved by Jarvis Pennyworth. Still panicked, Falcone hired Joe Chill to murder the Waynes. While Martha was indeed killed, Thomas, with help from Dr. Leslie Thompkins, survived and was declared clinically dead. He dropped off the grid and stole the drug Miraclo from his colleague, Rex Tyler. In the 1990s, Thomas returned, and systematically killed Chill, the three thugs in Falcone's employ, and finally Frankie Falcone himself. While investigating these crimes, Bruce, now the Batman, discovered that Thomas was alive, and after a heated confrontation wherein Bruce learned the whole truth about his father's sordid past, and disowned Thomas.
The New Wonders
When Earth was threatened by Steppenwolf and later the clone of Superman, Thomas traveled to the World Army's Arkham Command Center to free certain prisoners from the facility, releasing Aquawoman and James Olsen from their statis cells to join his resistance. He also discovered the Joker among the prisoners and promptly killed him.
Thomas helped the Wonders and the World Army stop Superman, who at first was believed to be a brainwashed agent of Darkseid, and his Hunger Dog allies from using a Boom Tube to transport the Earth into Apokolips space. After Superman was revealed to be a clone and was disintegrated by both Val-Zod and Red Tornado, Thomas would be united with his granddaughter Helena, who was now going under the identity of the Huntress during her time on Prime Earth.
This section of the history takes place during Convergence, a massive crossover event revisiting characters from past eras and realities. The villains Brainiac and Telos plucked them from their own timeline and stored them together, causing them to cross over into each others' reality. Its precise chronological placement and canonicity may be unclear.
Main article: Convergence (event)
Thomas and his Justice League are taken to Convergence before their Earths' destruction and escape Darkseid's wrath. He then sacrifices his life to kill several New Earth Batman villains.
Powers and Abilities
- Miraclo-Enhanced Powers
- Firearms: Very capable with handguns.
- Medicine: Being a former doctor, Thomas saved many lives, including that of Frankie Falcone.
- 60 Minute Time Limit: After a 60 minute time period, the "AQP" burns itself out, and the waste toxins generated need to be eliminated in the bloodstream over about a 24 hour period.
- Drug Addiction: Claims to be possibly physically addicted to Miraclo, but also requires it to keep fighting at his old age.
- Miraclo: Batman derives all his superhuman abilities from the "miracle vitamin" Miraclo. The active ingredient is a special form of phosphorus, which bonds temporarily with the ATP in muscle cells to create a "Adenosine Quad-Phosphate" which energizes the cells.
- Kryptonite: Batman carries a small shard of Kryptonite around his neck.
- Thomas Wayne as of Earth 2 Annual #2 is sixty-five years old.
- 48 Appearances of Thomas Wayne (Earth 2)
- 21 Images featuring Thomas Wayne (Earth 2)
- 3 Quotations by or about Thomas Wayne (Earth 2)
- Character Gallery: Thomas Wayne (Earth 2)
|Batman Family member |
This character is or was an incarnation of or an ally of Batman, and a member of the Batman Family. This template will automatically categorize articles that include it into the "Batman Family members" category.
Justice Society of America member