FANDOM


  • I ask because there's a lot I disagree with and I'm not prepared to keep contributing if there's no hope of changing them.

    For that matter, it's not even clear what the policies are. You just have to make an edit and wait and see if it gets deleted or not.

      Loading editor
    • We always kinda did it this way and never bothered to write it down. It’s always open to discussion, though. What do you disagree with?

        Loading editor
    • Like not being able to create a page for a character unless their last name has been revealed.

        Loading editor
    • That's just a practicality. We make a few exceptions, but that's only from historic perspective.

        Loading editor
    • There's nothing practical about refusing to include an article about a DC character on the DC Database. If a page's name doesn't match the naming conventions you move it to a different name. You don't delete the page, untag all the character's appearances and pretend the character doesn't exist.

      Does anyone else actually support this insane policy?

        Loading editor
    • HarleyWelcomeQuinn wrote: Like not being able to create a page for a character unless their last name has been revealed.

      Well, if it's a person with an alias, you can use the alias when creating a page. (if the full name is unknown). If you go on the manual of style page (under community) you'll see a section dedicated to naming conventions.[1]

        Loading editor
    • Most if not all admins. And they don't consider it insane.

      There's no need to create pages for people named Mike of Billy. There are tons of them out there. We don't really like numbers for people, nor double disambiguation. It's a drawback of the naming standard we started long ago. We're so big and heavy now changing things, rethinking things, is practically impossible.

        Loading editor
    • Something0Something wrote: Well, if it's a person with an alias, you can use the alias when creating a page.

      What if the character doesn't have an alias?

        Loading editor
    • Tupka217 wrote:

      Most if not all admins. And they don't consider it insane.

      I'd like to see them speak up. Because it is most definitely insane.

      There's no need to create pages for people named Mike of Billy. There are tons of them out there.

      Names don't determine importance. You can't assume a character is insignificant because their last name hasn't been revealed, or vice versa. We wouldn't be having this discussion if the character's last name had been mentioned offhandedly just once, yet the character's importance wouldn't have changed.

      We're so big and heavy now changing things, rethinking things, is practically impossible.

      What exactly is stopping you? I want to know the technical details. From my perspective, it seems like all that's required is refraining from the clicking on "Delete".

        Loading editor
    • I don't think we use the same definition of insane. We have to draw a line to occasionally cross somewhere. Part of running a wiki is coming up with practical but arbitrary rules.

        Loading editor
    • What if the character doesn't have an alias?

      Then it's up to discussion to see if the chara is important enough to be part of the " few exceptions", I guess? I'm not an admin or a long time user, but I'd assume that's how it works.

        Loading editor
    • HarleyWelcomeQuinn wrote: Names don't determine importance. You can't assume a character is insignificant because their last name hasn't been revealed, or vice versa.

      Agreed. That's why some characters can get pages; once their importance has been determined for their number of appearances and/or their relevance as part of a larger storyline. These are still parameters to consider when giving minor characters their own pages.

      I want to know the technical details. From my perspective, it seems like all that's required is refraining from the clicking on "Delete".

      The technical detail is that once we start allowing every "Joe", "Susan" or "Rocky" to have their own pages, arbitrarily, there would be no stopping all users from creating pages for the thousands of irrelevant characters that happened to be named in one or two issues. There's no criteria to work with and it becomes a no man's land where every character, despite how irrelevant, gets a page just because they were named.

      It's not practical. I hope you can see it from that perspective.

        Loading editor
    • SforHope wrote:

      That's why some characters can get pages; once their importance has been determined for their number of appearances and/or their relevance as part of a larger storyline. These are still parameters to consider when giving minor characters their own pages.

      Who decides this and where? I've never had an opportunity to justify why I think a page should exist (with regards to this or any other issue), just had the page deleted and been told "we don't do this".

      The technical detail is that once we start allowing every "Joe", "Susan" or "Rocky" to have their own pages, arbitrarily, there would be no stopping all users from creating pages for the thousands of irrelevant characters that happened to be named in one or two issues.

      The question was "why can't we use numbers to disambiguate important characters", not "why can't we make a page for every character named in one issue".

        Loading editor
    • Who decides this? Any editor capable of making a distinction between a character who appears in a single issue vs a character who is relevant for a whole storyline. Any editor capable of justifying the need to have a page for a character, based on the criteria that the site has used for years instead of personal opinion.

      Don't let this issue become personal. Just because a page you created was deleted, doesn't mean the person(s) who did it are not up to discuss the possibility of having that page. The active admins are almost always available to discuss things in their message walls, talking things to reach an understanding and maybe even considering an agreement, if a valid argument is made for the issue at hand.

      As for the question "why can't we use numbers to disambiguate important characters". I don't know what to tell you cuz I don't really understand the question.

        Loading editor
    • SforHope wrote:

      Just because a page you created was deleted, doesn't mean the person(s) who did it are not up to discuss the possibility of having that page. The active admins are almost always available to discuss things in their message walls, talking things to reach an understanding and maybe even considering an agreement, if a valid argument is made for the issue at hand.

      I tried at the time and I'm trying again now and it's like talking to a brick wall. That's why I'd like at least one other admin to show up so all decisions aren't being made by one guy.

        Loading editor
    • Well, there's two of us here now and we're both on the same page. So far, you haven't explained the particular issue that triggered this discussion and instead we're talking about the general rule of thumb when it comes to "single names characters"; which is unlikely to change.

        Loading editor
    • The character in question is "Amanda" from the last arc of Harley Quinn Vol 1. She has a major role in six issues and is on the cover of four of them.

      SforHope wrote: instead we're talking about the general rule of thumb when it comes to "single names characters"; which is unlikely to change.

      I had been given the impression that it was a strict rule, not a general rule of thumb that allows discussion of exceptions. Tupka said the only exceptions were historical.

        Loading editor
    • Tupka can be strict, because he has to. He's the only one here that cares enough about running this place 24/7, so he has little tolerance and/or patience to deal with all issues that come everyday.

      As for the character, it's that little blonde girl, right? She seems to be the main focus of the last storyline alright, but let me ask you something: did she change anything relevant about Harley's status quo? If we were to write about that storyline in Harley's bio, should Amanda be included as part of the brief description of the events or could her name by replaced by "little girl"? Does she possess any special ability or noteworthy trait?

      And even if the answer to all of those questions is positive, I firmly believe that prior to having any such page for a character like this, the bare minimum that we should consider first and foremost is completing the indexing and cataloguing of all the issues she appears in. She's not even listed in the appearances of those books and they certainly don't have a properly written synopsis. So, if you're up to the task, complete that storyline first and afterwards, we shall consider having a page for her.

        Loading editor
    • Don't think that just because I don't always weigh in that I'm not paying attention. Credit to Tupka for handling most of these issues for the rest of the admins. Either way, I agree with him and S. In most cases we just don't create a page for single-named character with no codename. It may be arbitrary but it becomes a big mess if we try to include pages for every minor character.

        Loading editor
    • I think SforHope has hit the nail on the head. Is this REALLY a "character"or is it a convenient plot device like "girl Superman rescues from falling off a cliff".

        Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.

Bring Your DC Movies Together