- Have you ever seen the ocean, Mr. Toledo? It is a thing of many moods. When it's calm, it's the most beautiful creature mortal man can conceive of. When it's angry, strong men tremble. Its mighty fury can reduce the sturdiest of ships to mere kindling. I miss the ocean very much, Mr. Toledo. But I carry a part of it with me always. You see, I am very much like the ocean. I am angry! No one makes a mockery of The 100!
- — Tobias Whale src
Tobias Whale worked his way up from the rackets to head the Metropolis branch of The 100. When school teacher Jefferson Pierce spoke out against the 100's drug trafficking, Whale decided to make an example of one of his students. Seeking to avenge his murdered pupil, Pierce became a vigilante, calling himself "Black Lightning."
Black Lightning was successful enough to send Tobias to jail. When Whale broke out of prison some months later he teamed up with Syonide II to distribute a new highly addictive drug. The drug's formula was supposed to be in the possession of a woman named Violet Harper, and Tobias sent Syonide to retrieve it from her. When he was unable to gain any information or find any trace of the formula, Syonide simply killed her.
Violet Harper later came back to life as the super-heroine Halo and became part of the superhero team called Outsiders. Once Tobias learned of Harper's resurrection, he assumed that she must have memorized the formula. Whale kidnapped Halo and Violet Harper's parents in an attempt to retrieve the formula, but his plan was foiled by the fact that Halo couldn't remember anything of her past life as Violet Harper. Whale was forced to retreat when the Outsiders showed up to rescue their friend.
Whale eventually had to leave Metropolis because of increasing pressures from Intergang. Whale moves to Gotham City and tries to take over the Gotham crime map; which is still heavily in confusion from the power vacuum after the death of Black Mask and the deportations in Salvation Run.
Powers and Abilities
- Leadership: Organized Crime influence. Whale is very brutal and is considered to be among the most ruthless of crime lords.
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Basic): Very skilled in street fighting and tussles since he was a child, Whale will hardly ever enter a fight unless it's necessary or personal.
- Weaponry: Very skilled with a harpoon.
- Harpoon: He occasionally sports a harpoon on personal missions and as a threat to any who would attack him or his men.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- Often called "the Great White Whale" behind his back, Tobias Whale weighs close to 400 lbs. But most of his considerable bulk is muscle.
- It is unknown whether or not Tobias was ever associated with the 100's successor group, The 1000.
- Tobias Whale's overall look and disposition is at the very least inspired by that of Wilson Fisk, aka Marvel's Kingpin of Crime. They are similar in size and manner of dress as well.
- The Justice League Unlimited character Steve Mandragora is based on Tobias Whale.
- 46 Appearances of Tobias Whale (New Earth)
- 15 Images featuring Tobias Whale (New Earth)
- 2 Quotations by or about Tobias Whale (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Tobias Whale (New Earth)