Todd was raised in an abusive adoptive home in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. He found out in his late teens that he had a twin sister, Jennie-Lynn Hayden, alias Jade. They met, discovered they both had superpowers and, operating under the assumption that Green Lantern was their father (which they did not know for certain at the time, but did eventually learn to be true), decided to follow in his footsteps.
Jade and Obsidian became founding members of the hero group Infinity, Inc, which comprised those who continued the legacy of the JSA. He served with this group for its duration, then continued to partner with his sister. He was also briefly affiliated with the Justice League.
Obsidian apparently inherited schizophrenia from his mother, Thorn. However, his connection with the shadow realm which gave him his powers and the experience of seeing the blackness within many other souls caused him to go gradually insane, and after many of his team-mates were killed and the Justice League of which he was a part was disbanded, he began a sort of revenge campaign against both of his fathers - biological and adoptive. Corrupted by Ian Karkull, Obsidian turned evil, using his shadow powers to spread darkness over the entire world. Obsidian had a conflict with the new JSA in Milwaukee which was ended by a sacrifice on the part of his adoptive father James Rice after a drawn-out battle with Sentinel, He was defeated by his father. Obsidian retreated to the Shadowlands, the other dimensional plane from which he derives his powers. Later he joined the mystical villains Mordru and Eclipso to seek vengeance (unsuccessfully) on Green Lantern and the JSA. Following his defeat, Obsidian was cured of his mental imbalance.
After being cured, Obsidian retired. It was during this time that Todd finally came to terms with the fact that he was gay. He met and fell in love with Damon Matthews, an assistant district attorney who works with the vigilante Manhunter (Kate Spencer). Todd's powers went dormant during most of this time, but they returned, following the death of his twin sister Jade during Infinite Crisis. He has since then returned to being a superhero and is still dating Damon happily.
- Shadowlands Connection: Unlike his sister, Jade, whose powers resembled their father's, Obsidian has various shadow-based powers from his father's exposure to Shadow energy after a battle with Ian Karkull. Obsidian is connected to the Shadowlands, a dimension of primordial, quasi-sentient darkness.
- Shadow Form: Obsidian possesses the power of shadows. He does this by tapping into the dark energy of a dimension known as the Shadowlands. Todd can turn into a living, three-dimensional shadow by merging with his own shadow, turning it completely black. If he wished he could merge whatever he is wearing with his shadow as well. He can turn any part or all of his body two-dimensional.
- Superhuman Strength
- Superhuman Stamina
- Shadow Possession
- Size Alteration
- Shadow Constructs
- Darkside View: Obsidian also has limited telepathic abilities and by coming in contact with a victim's shadow he could cause them emotional agony by subjecting them to their innermost fears. It does not work against beings of "pure evil" like Solomon Grundy and Ultra-Humanite.
- Psychic Link: Obsidian could communicate with his sister Jade through a limited form of telepathy.
- Vulnerability to Light: His shadow-form was easily injured by bright light.
- Schizophrenia: Todd displayed many symptoms of developing schizophrenia throughout his adolescence, inherited from his mother, but takes anti-psychotic drugs to prevent outbursts.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-Two era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and no longer apply.
- Obsidian grew up in a abusive foster home.
- Obsidian is homosexual and in a relationship with Damon Matthews.
- Obsidian is a fan of composer and lyricist, Stephen Sondheim, and regards Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street as possibly the greatest American musical ever made.
- Obsidian formerly dated Marcie Cooper, the third Harlequin.
- Obsidian is also known as Obie and Shadow Weaver.
- During the Crisis Obsidian learned that in his shadow form he is resistant to low amounts of antimatter, for instance the amount of antimatter a shadow demon is made of. In his shadow form shadow demons can not hurt him but he can hurt them.
- Before going with the name "Obsidian", DC Comics considered the names "Umbra" and "Ebon" for the character.
- 247 Appearances of Todd Rice (New Earth)
- 51 Images featuring Todd Rice (New Earth)
- 5 Quotations by or about Todd Rice (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Todd Rice (New Earth)
Justice Society of America member
|Justice League member|
This character is or was a member of the Justice League of America, or the Justice League in any of its various incarnations, sworn by a duty to act as guardians of America and the world by using their skills and/or superpowers to protect Earth from both interstellar and domestic threats.