Urania Blackwell was an agent for the Central Intelligence Agency. She attended a mission to Egypt with a fellow agent named Triangle. They found the pyramid of Ahk-Ton and Urania was exposed to the same energy that once turned fortune hunter Rex Mason into Metamorpho, the Element Man. Urania underwent a similar transformation and became the Element Girl. She recruited Metamorpho's assistance in order to stop her ex-boyfriend, the Stingaree, who was a member of the criminal Cyclops organization. During their first encounter with Stingaree, Urania was seemingly killed, but was resurrected soon after, thanks to the scientific expertise of industrialist Simon Stagg.
Soon after, Element Girl assisted Metamorpho again, this time combatting the efforts of scientist Franz Zorb and his Chemo-Robots. During this time, Urania began to develop romantic feelings towards Rex Mason, much to the chagrin of Rex's fiancé, Sapphire Stagg.
In another adventure, Metamorpho had been transformed into a deadly radioactive isotope and had to be exiled from the planet Earth. Element Girl sneaked aboard his rocket ship and helped him to return to Earth. From there, they joined together to battle the architect of this plan - an alien conqueror known as the Thunderer. The Thunderer used his powers to send Element Girl and Metamorpho into a sub-atomic world where their bodies were split into separate pieces. With the aid of young science whiz Billy Barton, the elementals were able to reconstitute their forms and returned to Earth to defeat the Thunderer.
Element Girl then played a pivotal role in exonerating Metamorpho from a mock trial in which he had been framed for the murder of a man named Wally Bannister.
Little is known of Element Girl's life after this event. Years passed and she eventually pensioned out of the agency. The difficulty of dealing with her powers and the ensuing loneliness took its toll on her. Urania fell into a deep malaise and contemplated suicide. Being one of the metamorphae however, this was nearly impossible for her. The personification of Death visited her apartment and advised Urania to make a plea to the source of her powers - the Egyptian sun god, Ra. Urania did as suggested and asked Ra to take away her abilities and allow her to die. Ra heard her request and allowed Element Girl to die.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- Urania Blackwell is also known as the Chemical Doll.
- 19 Appearances of Urania Blackwell (New Earth)
- 3 Images featuring Urania Blackwell (New Earth)
- 1 Quotations by or about Urania Blackwell (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Urania Blackwell (New Earth)