Sgt. Vincent Velcoro was a "scientific vampire", a person enhanced with experimental chemicals and vampire bat blood, to become a member of the monster-themed militia the Creature Commandos.
Vincent Velcoro was born in 1911 in New York City. On reaching adulthood he enlisted in the U.S. Army. Caught betraying his country and found guilty of treason, Vincent Velcoro was offered a choice: either accept a 30 years sentence, or submit himself to radical experiments to help him become a secret weapon for the Allied forces. Naturally he chose the latter. For 6 months he was injected with a compound made with experimental chemicals and blood extracted from the New Mexican vampire bat . Thus, Velcoro was transformed into a "scientific approximation" of a legendary undead vampire.
Sgt. Velcoro served in an experimental U.S. Army commando unit known as the Creature Commandos, alongside two other surgically-altered soldiers, Pvt. Elliot "Lucky" Taylor and Pvt. Warren Griffith, under the command of Lt. Matthew Shrieve.
Powers and Abilities
- Unique Physiology: Vincent Velcoro, due to experimentation with chemicals and vampire bats, was transformed into a "scientific approximation" of a vampire, altering his physiology.
- Blood Lust: Velcoro must drink blood at least once by day in order to survive. He can make up for it by consuming raw meat. 
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- Vincent Velcoro is a "scientific" vampire, who in many ways resembles a genuine one, but there are differences:
- 34 Appearances of Vincent Velcoro (New Earth)
- 7 Images featuring Vincent Velcoro (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Vincent Velcoro (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Vincent Velcoro (New Earth)