- This is a contest of brute force versus brains. I'll take brains every time.
- — Vril Dox src
Vril Dox II aka Brainiac 2 is the clone son of Brainiac (Vril Dox I).
He was created by Brainiac himself. He is still regarded as Brainiac's son and heir, as he has inherited his pater familias' high intelligence and extreme Machiavellian ethics. Vril Dox II is a citizen of the planet Colu which is ruled by the malevolent Computer Tyrants.
Although cold-hearted and manipulative, he does not follow his father's footsteps, but has worked hard to make the universe a safer place. One of the most intelligent beings in the galaxy, he was the founder and long-time leader of the interstellar heroic organization known as L.E.G.I.O.N..
Ren Daggle better known as the Durlan met Vril Dox when he crashed on Colu and was forced into slavery by Brainiac. Vril Dox II was also treated like a slave, and so the Durlan took the young boy under his wing.
Brainiac was then over thrown and banished from the planet by the Computer Tyrants. The young Vril Dox II is given to the Dominators by the Computer Tyrants as a gesture of good faith in their Invasion of the planet Earth.
He was then detained in the Starlag prison. While incarcerated there, he befriended some other prisoners such as Stealth and Captain Comet. Along with Lyrissa Mallor, Garryn Bek and Strata, he helped to defeat the Dominators.
After their victory, the group went with Vril Dox II to his home planet of Colu. They were successful in shutting down Computer Tyrants who had conquered his people. But without the Computer Tyrants to guide it, Coluans society practically self-destructed.
Vril Dox II soon became a messiah to his people, which gave him the idea to form a new police force to replace the former Green Lantern Corps. The others were hesitant to join, but ultimately decided that it might be a good idea to stick around, so as to keep an eye on Vril Dox II.
The band then journeyed to Cairn to take out Kanis-Biz. Afterwards, they turned the entire police force into the group called L.E.G.I.O.N.. The Durlan remained with the team as an adviser, but he also aided the team as a medical technician. Stealth's unstable biology soon caused her to go into heat and made her choose Vril Dox II as her mate. Stealth then attacked, raped, and killed Vril Dox, but that one pairing caused Stealth to become pregnant. Luckily the Durlan found Vril's body and cloned it then transferred his brainwaves, restoring Vril Dox back to life.
Stealth narrowly avoided being devoured before going into labor. This event brought out the truly strange nature of the Gryxian race. During the birth, her body transformed into her native, non-humanoid form, and in feverish state, she heard the voice of the spirits of her people "the male is a necessary evil. He will dictate the form." Thus, her son was born a Coluan. When Vril Dox II was still in recovery, the Durlan disappears without explanation, and the only thing left in his place is Phase, a woman claiming to be from the 30th Century with Phasing powers. Afterwards, she decides to put the baby in protective care, and return to the L.E.G.I.O.N.
Vril Dox II later regains control of L.E.G.I.O.N. by bartering with the demonic entity Neron. The deal is for the soul of one of his unborn offspring. After the R.E.B.E.L.S. had helped restore L.E.G.I.O.N. as a force of good, Brainiac 2 retired and left the leadership in the hands of Captain Comet.
Vril Dox II later comes into contact with the mother of his son, who had recently been killed by L.E.G.I.O.N. drones, and was subsequently revived as a Black Lantern.
Vril Dox II was also in an area in which a Sinestro Corps member was murdered by another Black Lantern. When the ring started to search for a new host, it selected Vril Dox II, making him a member of the Sinestro Corps. However, not even the power of the ring was a match for the Black Lanterns, forcing Vril Dox II to teleport them to Starro's home world, despite the fact that his son, Lyrl was also there.
The ring rejected Vril Dox II, as he had repeatedly refused Sinestro's mandate that all members of the Sinestro Corps were to gather at Korugar, and declared that he had been discharged from the Corps.
- Genius Level Intellect: Vril Dox, like all members of the Brainiac family, possesses a superior intellect, on the order of a 10th-level intellect due to his father/creator castrating his mental aptitude. (In the 30th century, it has been said that the collective intellect of the entire population of Earth is no greater than a level 8 intelligence, while in the 20th century they are a level 6 at best.)
- Martial Arts: Vril was trained in Durlan traditional combat by The Durlan.
- Force Field Belt: Brainiac 2 possesses a force field apparatus located in his belt similar in design to that of his decedent Querl Dox.
- Flight: Through a spatial folding function on his belt, Brainiac 2 has the ability to maintain self-sustained flight.
- Yellow Lantern Power Battery(Formerly)
- Yellow Power Ring: Vril was instated as a Sinestro Corpsmen, having all the abilities the yellow lantern ring entails for its wearer.(Formerly)
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- 179 Appearances of Vril Dox II (New Earth)
- 22 Images featuring Vril Dox II (New Earth)
- 10 Quotations by or about Vril Dox II (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Vril Dox II (New Earth)
|Sinestro Corps member|
This character is or was a member of the Sinestro Corps, chosen by Sinestro to counteract the Green Lantern Corps and spread terror throughout their sector with a Power Ring.
This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Sinestro Corps members category."