Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the New 52 in 2011, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation's. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
In his early years in Atlantis, Vulko was the adviser to Atlanna. When Orm was twelve, his father was killed and Atlanna saw this as her chance to leave Atlantis. Vulko arranged the escape route for her and Orm, but she was murdered the night before her escape. Vulko believed Orm had her killed. Although Vulko accused him of the murder, Orm's loyalists tried to arrest him. Vulko managed to escape and began a life on the surface world, hoping to find Arthur so that he can defeat Orm and reclaim his rightful place as king.
Years later, upon meeting Arthur off the coast of Norway, Vulko showed a young Arthur his birthright, the home of Atlantis. Vulko gave Arthur a map to the Dead King's armory, where Atlantis' most powerful artifacts were kept. He also gives him the Atlantean stones that lied on the crown of the Dead King, the creator and first king of Altantis, before it was destroyed. Although Arthur does not believe he will be accepted, Vulko had faith that Arthur could save Atlantis.
When Arthur left the position of King of Atlantis, Vulko was banished once again from Atlantis and lived on the surface world.
Wanting to see his King restored to the throne, Vulko secretly hired Black Manta to steal the Dead King's Scepter. Vulko later sabotaged military weapons testing to target and fire explosive missiles on Atlantis. His intention was to incite Orm to begin the Atlantean War Plan. Orm began an invasion of the surface world in retaliation for the attack and for previous years of pollution dumped into his ocean. Vulko's plan was to force Arthur to take back the throne of Atlantis and become the king again. Vulko used the scepter to control the Trench to invade the surface world as well throwing another threat at Arthur. Seeing a common enemy, and learning the plans of Vulko, Aquaman defeated Orm and the Trench to re-take the throne of Atlantis as Vulko has planned. Seeing his goal accomplished, Vulko conceded the scepter to Arthur as the rightful king and was promptly punished by his new king to be punished in Atlantis.
- Atlantean Physiology: The Atlanteans are offshoots of humanity that are biologically adapted to the deep ocean environment. All their abilities are by-products of their bodies being adapted to survive unprotected in the tremendous pressures of the ocean depths.
- Superhuman Strength
- Superhuman Durability: Vulko is able to withstand the huge pressures of deep ocean.
- Superhuman Reflexes
- Superhuman Stamina
- Superhuman Speed
- Enhanced Senses
- Dead King's Scepter (Formerly): An Atlantean artifact that was made by Atlan thousands of years ago. Vulko used scepter to telepathically control the Trench to invade the surface world.
- Nuidis Vulko was created by Bob Haney and Howard Purcell, first appearing in The Brave and the Bold #73. However, in the Prime Earth continuity Nuidis Vulko first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in Aquaman (Volume 7) #0 by Geoff Johns, Ivan Reis, and Joe Prado.
- 37 Appearances of Vulko (Prime Earth)
- 4 Images featuring Vulko (Prime Earth)
- 4 Quotations by or about Vulko (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Vulko (Prime Earth)
This character is or was primarily an enemy of the Justice League, in any of its various incarnations. This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Justice League Villains."