Vykin the Black was a member of the Forever People.
Vykin was one of the five young earthlings selected from different points of Earth's history by Highfather to be raised in New Genesis. These group grew up as close friends and became the Forever People.
When Darkseid, ruler of Apokolips, began to use the Earth as a focal point in his war against New Genesis, he kidnapped Beautiful Dreamer, hoping to find the Anti-Life Equation inside her mind. With the help of Superman and the Infinity Man, The Forever People finally forced Darkseid to release her. They decided to remain on Earth for a time, to learn more about the planet and help protect it from Darkseid.
Eventually, they found themselves pursued by Devilance, and were forced to use their unique ability to trade places with the superpowerful Infinity Man to save themselves. In the course of their battle, though, Devilance and Infinity Man were seemingly destroyed, leaving the Forever People trapped in the planet called Adon.
Vykin carried out an experiment with his Mother Box to turn the primitive people of Adon into the developed society of Forevertown. The experiment was succesful, but an overload led the Mother Box to explode, killing Vykin with the same blow. But he was later resurrected due to an attack caused by an evil entity called The Dark, that reverted time all around the planet Adon.
Powers and Abilities
- New God Physiology
- Electromagnetism: Vykin has magnetic powers which allow him to attract or repel to objects of either iron or steel.
- Electrical Engineering: Vykin has an innate talent with machinery and is skilled in electronics.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- He was the first black super-hero to appear in a DC comic book, preceding Kirby's Black Racer by approximately seven months. The use of the ethnic descriptor in his name, as in other Kirby characters such as the Black Racer, already seemed awkward at the time, but reflects the kind of labeling that was common place in the multi-ethnic New York of Kirby's 1930s childhood.
- Vykin is also known as Vykin the Black.
- Jack Kirby's Fourth World Recommended Reading:
- Forever People (Volume 1)
- Forever People (Volume 2)
- Mister Miracle (Volume 1)
- Mister Miracle (Volume 2)
- Mister Miracle (Volume 3)
- Mister Miracle (Volume 4)
- Seven Soldiers: Mister Miracle (Volume 1)
- New Gods (Volume 1)
- New Gods (Volume 2)
- New Gods (Volume 3)
- New Gods (Volume 4)
- Orion (Volume 1)
- Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen (Volume 1): issues #133-#148
- Jack Kirby's Fourth World (Volume 1)
- Death of the New Gods (Volume 1)
- DC Graphic Novel #4
- Genesis (Volume 1)
- 72 Appearances of Vykin the Black (New Earth)
- 15 Images featuring Vykin the Black (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Vykin the Black (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Vykin the Black (New Earth)
|Jack Kirby's Fourth World |
This character or group of characters are related to Jack Kirby's Fourth World, either the original concept and group of titles by Jack Kirby, or any of their subsequent adaptations by other creators. This template will categorize articles that include it into the Fourth World Characters category.